Cant find DireXt 9.0c Alpha Blend library

Started by
4 comments, last by Evil Steve 12 years, 2 months ago
I need the alphablend library for sprite fading and text output, to run the projects from Beggining Game Programming.

However Ive set up a system with Windows XP SP1 and the SDK from the CD and VC++ 6.0 but still i cant find the alphablend.

I have downloaded along some others from users having the same problem and who told it was solved but still noithing its buggy.

Do i need a clear Windows XP without any Service Packs so its going to have the wright direXt embeded? ( i dont recall of itc 9.0b or 9.0c )

Thank you very much.
Advertisement
I think you have to download the DirectX SDK. Also, I wouldn't use VC++ 6.0, it is a rather buggy software.

Cheers!
I did of courese, how could u programm without the Dirext SDK.

NOT USE VC 6.0++??? BUT its the Microsofts official and the supposed most stable to run DireXt as one of its product :o
What could anyone use instead

NOT USE VC 6.0++??? BUT its the Microsofts official and the supposed most stable to run DireXt as one of its product :o
What could anyone use instead
No, it's over a decade old, no longer updated, and extremely buggy. I'd avoid using any book that has a copy of VC++ 6.0 on its CD, since it's clearly an old book (And probably uses incorrect code to get around VC 6.0's compiler bugs).
Visual Studio 2010 Express is much more up to date, is free, far more standards compliant, and is an optimising compiler (VC6.0 can't do optimisation unless you pay for the "Professional" version or above).

And to answer the original question, there's no such thing as the DirectX alpha blend library - it sounds like something the author of the book has made himself. Alpha blending in D3D 9 is done by setting a few render states, you don't need a whole library for it.
It is like you say with some micro calls but they re not recognized. Probably i miss a library.

I cant Compile on visual 2010 DireXt 9 code from that Book. It returns me error "OLD C STYLE CODE" loool
And with 2010 will I be able to program Direct 9? Wont I have probs with surpassed old libraries ( is there backward combatibility for the developer)
You just need a pointer to an IDirect3DDevice9, then you can call SetRenderState() on it to set the various alpha blending states needed.

You'll have no problem using Visual Studio 2010 so long as you use a relatively recent version of the DirectX SDK. I use DirectX 9.0 at home with Visual Studio 2010.

However, if the book you're using is that old, then you might be easier stickign with VC 6.0 (Although as I said, I'd recommend getting a more up to date book).

From looking at your other post, if that book is using StretchRect() to blit sprites to the screen, then alpha blending won't work. You'll need to use textured quads (Which is perhaps what the alpha blend library from the book does).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement