C++ Compilers & IDEs for Windows

Started by
40 comments, last by L. Spiro 12 years, 1 month ago
Hi Guys,

just wondering what C++ compilers every1 uses for Windows. Does any1 use anything else than Visual studio?

I'm making a game for PC & Mac with Linux server so looking for an option I could use on these 3 platforms,

cheers
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
Advertisement
Personally I use Visual Studio. It's really nice IDE with a lot features (including lag).

Visual Studio compiler supports only Windows as far as I know. For Mac and Linux you'll have to get GCC compiler. There's high chance you'll need to have those OSes to make programs for them (I haven't looked into cross compiling so I do know how full details)

just wondering what C++ compilers every1 uses for Windows. Does any1 use anything else than Visual studio?

If you want a cross-platform compiler and IDE, I'd suggest Code::Blocks with g++.

Personally though, I use Visual Studio on Windows, X Code on OS X, and Code::Blocks on Linux, and they all share the same source code.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Personally though, I use Visual Studio on Windows, X Code on OS X, and Code::Blocks on Linux, and they all share the same source code.

This is more or less what I do as well, although I don't target OS X (we have a build that occasionally gets shaken-down, but it's not a primary platform).

The MSVC build on Windows is considered the "master", if for no other reason because of the superior debugging facilities (gdb may be Free but it's just not in the same league - good tools are important). Most work and new development is done with this. Every few days a Code::Blocks/gcc build is also done on Windows, together with a pure makefile build on Linux. This helps to maintain cross-platform compatibility as much as possible, and shakes out any compiler or build environment oddities.

It does become quite a pain any time a new file needs to be added to the project, but the benefits outweigh.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

How about GCC as it will run on windows as well, http://www.mingw.org/ comes complete with Bash shell and many other nice *nix apps.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

I compile with both MinGW GCC and Visual C++ on Windows. I aim to start kicking Clang's tires soon, too.

For what it's worth, with global optimization and auto-vectorization enabled, MinGW g++ 4.6 is producing much faster code that Visual C++ 2010 for my floating-point heavy software renderer.
I'm using QTCreator for both Windows and Linux. (Makes things easier when i don't have to swap IDE)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
My project works on Windows, Linux and Mac.
Primarily I debug using VC 2008 Express. That's super good to me.
On Linux and Mac, I usually don't need debug and don't write much code, so I just use CMake command line to compile and test.
When I need IDE on Linux and Mac, I use CMake to generate project file for Code::Blocks and XCode.

That's all I need for cross platform development. It's highly efficient.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

I'm using QTCreator for both Windows and Linux. (Makes things easier when i don't have to swap IDE)

+1

I think this is one of the best solutions if you really don't want to change IDE and project structure. It's a robust and professional IDE.

But that wouldn't be the solution I'd choose.. I think MonoDevelop+C#+OpenTK will give you way better productivity and almost instant (if you work at it, even binary) compatibility among the platforms.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

I'd use the best tool for the job, i.e. Visual studio on windows, x-code or something similar on OS-X (though I'm not sure if X-Code is the best on OS-X or not), etc. If the target is crossplattform, I'd use a crossplattform compiler/IDE. To be honest it's really annoying to switch and fix projectsettings between different IDEs and OS;es.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement