- (Slightly) harder for users to muck with
- It's only one file (it's kinda nice having things grouped in one file)
- (Slightly) harder for me to work with
- Increased save times when modifying the file (which the game won't do, but I will in my editor, so it's a con for me, though users won't experience this)
- Faster read times? (I've heard it can help not thrash the hard drive so much, but is this really much of a concern today on modern operating systems, and does it really help a significant amount?)
Does anyone have much experience with the pros/cons of using pack files? Are there any significant pros to using pack files, and are there any significant cons to just using the normal file system?