Where can I find a decent tutorial?

Started by
2 comments, last by alvaro 12 years ago
Hi,

I've been wandering around and looking at tutorial after tutorial, following them line by line and failing at hello world every time. Quite frankly it's frustrating. The reason? I use Fedora and C. I don't use C++, I can't use Python (won't install correctly...long story) and Java is completely out of the question. So I went and learned C.

So far, it's been a great language to learn, very precise and useful. Of course, there's a few things that I'd like to do the easy way, but I've found that actually bashing a problem through with C gives me not only a much better understanding but a faster program. (I'm happy with C, don't want to change).

Now. This is where the problem comes in. If I want to create an 'interface' things become...tricky. Now I've heard that GTK+ is one of the better ones and if I really want to jump in the deep end...OpenGL. Can I get either of them to work? No.

Every site that I have found thus far has told me I need "this package", "that package", "the other package". Unfortunately it doesn't tell me what they're likely to be called, nor does it tell me how I can find them, where to download them from or the like. Just to be a pain in the... I believe. I believe I've tracked down many of the problems.

I write down the hello world basic program, use GCC to compile...and I get error. Pkg_config/Gtk-config doesn't exist...something that the tutorial failed to mention I needed in the first place and not a package name in sight...

Can someone please provide me with a usable, accurate, C based, linux orientated tutorial!

Or heck, is someone open to email communique to introduce me to the subject matter?

All I need to do at the moment is just to create a basic hello world program in either C/OpenGL or C/GTK+. I am pretty sure after that I can go on my merry way.

Thanks for reading!

Ps. I don't need a C++ tutorial, I don't need a C# tutorial. I need a C...I hear it's sometimes called Objective C...the one shortly after B and before C++. Thanks.
Advertisement
How bout this one... http://www.otierney.net/objective-c.html
Objective C is not the same as ANSI C. It is more similar to C++ and C#, mainly used for MAC programming, and I doubt that an Objective C tutorial is what you are looking for.

I don't know what type of program you are writing, but SDL is a C graphics library with no other dependencies. Tutorials at http://www.lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/ are in mostly C. They use some of the C++ standard library for strings, but that appears to mostly be it.
What you need is documentation for GTK+ or for OpenGL. I would concentrate on one of them at a time. For GTK+, try this. If you don't have gtk-config it means you haven't installed GTK+ correctly.

EDIT: What OS are you using?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement