C# - Question about OOP , using objects across multiple forms

Started by
12 comments, last by TheTroll 12 years ago
I'm having trouble understanding OOP in general, but specifically in C#.

If I have a player object created on my main form... (Form1), how do I talk to that
same player object in another form? ie: FormInventory.

Hopefully I've worded all that ok.

Amateur want to be - Game Developer.

Advertisement
Pass a handle to the player object to the FormInventory object. This can be part of the FormInventory's constructor or another function or even a property or variable.
I've never heard of handles, maybe this is why I'm having trouble doing this.

I will try to to figure this out, thanks SiCrane.

Sorry, in C# they're called references. I think you're overthinking this. It's really as simple as something like:

Player player = new Player;
FormInventory inventory = new FormInventory;
inventory.SetPlayer(player);

or something similar (assuming Player is a reference type).
In C#, any variable with a 'reference type' (i.e. the variable's type is a class or string) could be considered 'handles'.

In C#, the code inside a method can 'see':

• Variables that got passed to the method.
  • Variables that got created in the method.
  • Member variables of the class that contains the method.
  • Public Static (or "global") variables inside any class.

There are several possible ways to make your two classes 'share' data:

• When you 'new' a class, you can pass data via the constructor.
  • If you have a reference to a class, you can assign to any of its public fields or public property setters.
  • If you have a reference to a class, you can call any of its public methods and pass your data as an argument (SiCrane's example).
  • You can make your data 'public static' and then any class can access it directly (try to avoid using this unless you have to).

Examples:

FormInventory inventory = new FormInventory(player); // Passing it via the constructor.

inventory.Player = player; // Using a field/property setter.

inventory.SetPlayer(player); // Passing it to a method.

var player = Form1.Player; // Accessing it via a global (public static) field/property. (This code would be written in FormInventory's methods)
What I don't understand is why your InventoryForm needs to access the player Object?

What I don't understand is why your InventoryForm needs to access the player Object?

At a guess, I'd say it would be to retrieve the contents of the player's inventory and other parameters like carrying capacity?
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

[quote name='TheTroll' timestamp='1334543437' post='4931615']

At a guess, I'd say it would be to retrieve the contents of the player's inventory and other parameters like carrying capacity?
[/quote]

That would mean the player object would need to access the inventory, not the other way around. I can't see a reason inventory needs to access the player.
Hypothetically, if InventoryForm was also used to display other entity's inventory, such as a shop keeper or someone you're pick pocketing, you could pass a reference to the person whose inventory you're going to be displaying to the form and have it sort it out.
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
Thanks for all the reply's, I'll read these through and make sure I understand.

And yeah... the Inventory needs to see the player's inventory, so it can display the player's inventory. I've done the inventory this way....

player.hasSword = true
player.hasShield = false
player.qtyFood = 5
player.gold = 5

(The inventory item's are variables in the player class - for simplicity sake)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement