Does starcraft2 use navmesh A* or grid A* for pathfinding?

Started by
14 comments, last by IADaveMark 11 years, 11 months ago
Does starcraft2 use navmesh A* or grid A* for pathfinding?
Advertisement
It uses a navmesh. Also please note that there is a bunch of steering code happening in there rather than simple A*.

If you want to see slides from James Anhalt's GDC presentation on SC2 pathfinding (and have some time to wait for a long PPT download), you can get them from here.

http://gameai.com/papers.php?a=23&t=&e=&y=

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Does the download work for anyone? I now downloaded it three times (two times on my windows machine and once on linux) but the zip seems to be broken :( .
Your question doesn't make sense.

A* is an algorithm while a Navmesh is the data structure (graph) representing your terrain. Thus SC2 uses both, A* and a Navmesh, and steering behaviour on top of that.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to learn from what Blizzard is doing with their games. They're really just not that good except for their marketing and cinematics team.

A* is an algorithm while a Navmesh is the data structure (graph) representing your terrain.

His question makes perfect sense. He was wondering if A* was used on a *navmesh* or on a *grid*.

Anyway, I wouldn't try to learn from what Blizzard is doing with their games. They're really just not that good except for their marketing and cinematics team.

Wow... Ok...
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

A* is an algorithm while a Navmesh is the data structure (graph) representing your terrain. Thus SC2 uses both, A* and a Navmesh, and steering behaviour on top of that.

You went 0-2 on this post.

1) Read the person's post before you bust out the snark.
2) You are knocking arguably one of the best game design teams in the history of ever.

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

It uses a navmesh. Also please note that there is a bunch of steering code happening in there rather than simple A*.

If you want to see slides from James Anhalt's GDC presentation on SC2 pathfinding (and have some time to wait for a long PPT download), you can get them from here.

http://gameai.com/pa...p?a=23&t=&e=&y=

The ppt zip is broken, I cann't open it.
Sigh. That's the one hosted on the GDC Vault site. Let me see if I have my own copy around here someplace.

Blogs I write:

Sigh. That's the one hosted on the GDC Vault site. Let me see if I have my own copy around here someplace.

Could you sent me the "James Anhalt's GDC presentation on SC2 pathfinding", thank you very muchhappy.png
email [email="flin0529@gmail.com"]flin0529@gmail.com[/email]
That's the one I linked to. The SC2 portion is only about 20 minutes. The rest of the hour was stuff from 2 other games.

Blogs I write:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement