FBX SDK - best ways to learn, and is it worth it?

Started by
1 comment, last by Krohm 11 years, 11 months ago
I started out with the ASSIMP library and was pretty fond of it! But unfortunately, many models I exported from maya/3dsmax came out scrambled, skewed, and otherwise distorted. Autodesk maintains the FBX SDK and this ensures compatibility with maya/3dsmax, and FBX seems to be a pretty standard file format, so I thought it might be better choice and less hassle than ASSIMP.

However! I have to say I find the FBX SDK documentation pretty poor. Its very brief, vague, and mostly tries to teach through example code, but leaves way too many questions open (at least to a beginner). I looked around and there seem to be no textbooks available, or more detailed, comprehensive tutorials. The autodesk fbx sdk discussion boards are a bit of a ghost town and the answers I've gotten are not very helpful.

I'm pretty frustrated because I really want to learn this well, but I can't seem to find the right resources or get my questions answered. Does anyone have any advice? Would it be worth asking my FBX related questions on these boards perhaps?
Advertisement
well i kinda had the same problem but you can try to work around by looking at a simple MD5 example here and understand quarternion if that such a big deal for you
you can look here http://tfc.duke.free...5-specs-en.html
its based on quarternion .. well.. instead of dual quaternion(wich is stated in "ViewScene" fbx sdk example).. or bones matrices from assimp.. wich i never understood whats a damn matrix.. lol
That's bad news for me. Is there any chance you can convert to Collada?

Personally I haven't been 100% satisfied by AssImp either, it provides very good value but I wish it could maintain some extra connectivity information WRT vertices shared across different meshes.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement