Where can I find free 3D models and other game assets?

Started by
4 comments, last by noizex 11 years, 10 months ago
Hi all.

I'm starting to make a 3D game in WebGL (using the Three.js engine), and I'd really like to find a place where I can download 3D models for free. I need to basic stuff like human characters, houses (maybe) and other things that a fantasy-themed game might require.

It'd be great if the models were already animated and in the .dae format, as that is what I use the most. Also, all other assets are welcomed, including audio and tutorials!
Advertisement
Turbosquid has some nice free models. Most are crap but there's the occasional pearl. Some will be available in the .dae format, but if they are not you should be able to convert the provided formats to .dae (I think).

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

They all seem to be quite pricey.
Limit your search to free models (by typing a price range of $0 to $0), you should get some good free models (hopefully).

But then again it depends on what you are looking for, I used turbosquid mostly to find models of furniture pieces - YMMV.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Googling this turns up many sites. Most are crappy, but you do occasionally find a model that works just for you. There are sites such as this one and this one and turbosquid.com, as mentioned above.
what

Hi all.

I'm starting to make a 3D game in WebGL (using the Three.js engine), and I'd really like to find a place where I can download 3D models for free. I need to basic stuff like human characters, houses (maybe) and other things that a fantasy-themed game might require.

It'd be great if the models were already animated and in the .dae format, as that is what I use the most. Also, all other assets are welcomed, including audio and tutorials!

I suggest first looking at http://opengameart.org/ - there you can find from quite bad to very good models, some fully rigged with full set of high res textures. You will probably have to export models yourself though, most of the models I checked were .blender, so you will need Blender and export this to format of your choice. But this is extra work you will always have to do when using free models, they will come in many different formats and you have to convert them yourself.

Where are we and when are we and who are we?
How many people in how many places at how many times?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement