One last vector Problem

Started by
19 comments, last by Aj37 22 years, 6 months ago
The vector A is added to B=6i-8j. The resultant vector is in the positive x direction ans has a magnitude equal to A. What is the direction of A with respect to the +X direction? Answer 74 degrees I can''t see how to do this problem or how to start it.
Advertisement
Jesus! Buy a fucking textbook!

Do you understand the principle of vector resultants? If you have
A = ai + bj and
B = ci + dj, then
C = (A+B) = (a+c)i + (b+d)j
|A| = (a2 + b2)1/2
|B| = (c2 + d2)1/2

From this you should be able to deduce the magnitude of C. Now factor in the angle of C (74 degrees), which is equal to tan-1(y/x) where x and y are the i- and j-coefficients of the vectors.

EDIT: arctan.

Edited by - Oluseyi on October 7, 2001 6:27:09 PM
I apprecciate the help but not the attitude. I was told this was a forum to post physics related problems. I was also told that the experts are all professionals.
Be that as it may, this is a high school math problem and that''s not what this forum is for. Furthermore, this is a math and physics forum on a game programming website.
This is a college physics problem and what does it matter if it was a high school math problem. I asked the people in charge of the forum if these questions were appropriate and that person said they were appropriate. I can''t understand why the questions are such a big issue for you that you have to use profanity and have such a attitude.
I don''t mind the problem in and of itself. I do, however, mind three such problems in quick succession with no indication of attempt or effort. If you say you tried this method or the other, then I wouldn''t have any problem with it.

Netiquette demands that you show evidence of independent research before assaulting fora with questions. That''s why I have an attitude. No offense intended.
I tried all of these problems at least once. Try not to pass judgement on some one until you are aware of all the facts.
Evidence not presented doesn''t count in a defence. And it''s such a basic problem (if it''s college physics then it''s intro physics) that I think it reflects poorly on you for needing to ask for the solution on GameDev . A search on Google will bring up several references on the subject matter, and a cursory glance through a math or physics textbook should answer all your questions.
I wasn''t aware I had to have a defense for asking a question. I was just asking a question and you decided to make a issue about it and use profanity. Then you pass judgement on me and call me a liar. Don''t answer my questions!!! My government the United States is currently dealing with people who think like you. Narrow minded and ignorant people are one of the bigest problems in the world today. You should work on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
quote:Narrow minded and ignorant people are one of the bigest problems in the world today

You are the one showing ignorance here.

quote:My government the United States is currently dealing with people who think like you.

Nice fascist statement for someone who isn''t narrow minded, isn''t it?
By the way, have you noticed that Oluseyi is also from the USA?

------------------------------------------------------
Cuando miras al abismo el abismo te devuelve la mirada.
F. Nietzsche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement