Diablo 3

Started by
18 comments, last by FLeBlanc 11 years, 8 months ago
So, I've been on hiatus for a bit, but I'm back! Currently in the process of making 2 games with a group of friends too! Anyways, I wanted to know what you all thought of the writing in Diablo 3. It has been under a lot of criticism lately and I was wondering what your opinions were.

Personally, I feel like a company as large as Blizzard should have been able to do much much better than this. There were cut scenes that I actually cringed during because of how terribly cheesy and poorly written they were. Nevermind the fact that every bit of the story was spoon fed to the player and left nothing up to our imaginations, like we are all illiterate idiots that can't grasp anything that is vague in any way. Also, glazing over the most important and interesting parts of the story by mediocre, poorly written, in-game cut scenes. I felt extremely disappointed, especially since I've been a huge fan of this franchise ever since Diablo came out years and years and years ago.

But what do you all think?
Advertisement
Well it sells....what much more do they want
Diablo 3 is action type of game and the story development in these games are a bit different. They don’t contain that much level of mystery as other large RPGs.

Actually the story is fast, direct, brief and to the point which actually fits stylistic template of Diablo 3.
Blizzard is able to do much better, we all know that. However today certain Diablo siblings franchises are totally reinvented as new expansions are realised while Blizzard took different approach where it created Diablo 3 to stick to its predecessors which we don’t see allot.
The different professions you get to choose actually makes story better. Every one of those professions has some sort of background history which is a positive thing and breaks the monotony.
The game levels are more "live" in diablo 3 than in 1 and 2. While playing you can hear voices of some side quests and other problems which break monotony even more.
There are also some books that get dropped and in there you can find many new clues as well as information telling the story, adding the mystery to the overall story since you don’t know have you actually picked up every book there is.

On the other side even if Diablo 3 is action game they could add some mystery. After all mystery is something that attaches us emotionally to the story. That being said, Diablo 3 get 2 out of 10 for mystery, there is none !
Dialogue is kind of, I don’t know, weird. It just can’t leave good impression as Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 could. I have seen allot better.
Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, on me, left some really memorable moments. These moments were very emotional and kind of scary. Diablo 3 just sucks in these things. I start to question can Blizzard create anything that is emotionally advanced.
The dark kind of story Diablo 1 and 2 had, cannot be seen in Diablo 3. Diablo 3 is all cartoonish and it is just ridicules to place Angels and Demons in that kind of environment, spoils the story. Blizzard has the habit now of making everything cartoonish, starting from WoW.
I agree with you about the cut scenes. Cut scenes are BEUTIFUL in Diablo 3, but we want to see more of a intra-level cut scenes than extra-level. It is just annoying, weird and spoils everything.

Diablo 3 seems to tell the story as simple as possible and sometimes I think Blizzard wrote and design it in about few months. Story as story is great, old-fashion and kind of attractive, but they should have added more mystery, better dialogue, environment, atmosphere. They should just present it in a better way, in a way they did in last two parts. smile.png
The things I loved so much about Diablo 2 and the expansion was their hesitation to give too much away and how well they captured a character's personality. The cinematics in those really left you wondering and gave you cliff-hangers to ponder as you played through the story.

Diablo 3 does not do that. It is very one-dimensional and, for me, makes the boring dungeon crawler even more boring.

I agree that the different classes do add a small bit of depth to each, but it's an incredibly small amount and is quickly forgotten as you begin the first quest. There is never a reference back to the events prior to your involvement in the characters journey, other than small talk between you and your follower, if you choose to take them with you.

The scattered books do break up the monotony, but left me wondering "why the hell did all these people leave their 2million journals scattered around like this?" It just didn't make sense, much like dozens of other parts written into the game.

Visually, the game is pretty amazing. The art direction is impressive to me. I was actually expecting it to look much more like Warcraft 3 than the old Diablo games, but they managed to make a compromise with their current visual branding and the rest of the Diablo franchise. I just feel like all creativity went out the window when it came to writing for this game.
I totally agree. I remember playing Diablo 2 and when the boss came the atmosphere was so intense for me that I was literally scared. I was scared to start the fight. The incredible dark theme, cinematic and so much more, dialogue, voices, everything was soooo good. Now, it is just cartoonish click, click, click boring game.

There is a reason why people are saying for Diablo 3 that is just about clicking and killing minions. This system (gameplay) was same in Diablo 2 as it is in Diablo 3, but you could not notice the “boring” part of it because of the story, environment and much more.

I think that people that worked on Diablo 3 are not the same one anymore.

Well it sells....what much more do they want

Yes, they made allot of money on Diablo 3 and it sells well. But you have to think on long term, leaving “bad” impression of game on millions and millions of people can turn disnatures.

What I noticed is that it looks like Blizzard has spent most of its budget on marketing the Diablo 3. It was all over the place, internet, tv even radio. It just seems that they didn’t focus on the development as they did on marketing.
I haven't played Diablo 3 yet, but the last thing I'd expect from it was a good story. I must've played through 1 and 2 a few dozen times each, and I couldn't tell you a single thing that actually happened in either of their plots. It'd be nice if they put more work into their story, but I don't think they expect their fans to care, so they don't bother focusing on it too much.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

Yep, I agree. I wasn't expecting the story to be anything but mediocre, but it turned out to be really, really, REALLY bad. I feel like the writers came up with the plot, which was kind of okay, and then just handed it off to some grade school children for writing. I know this sounds like an exaggeration, but there are scenes which I'm positive were written by a child.
I only say that because I know it's the kind of thing my friends and I would have written as children.
This sums up Diablo 3 pretty well. It's a video that goes through each act showing some of the ridiculousness in each, in a satirical kind of way.

Also, SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!

hahahah act 3 owns

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement