I was thinking about rounding up a few programmers to make a community to ultimately create a new open-source,cross platform level editor and creator, aimed at achieving AAA standard techniques. Also to create a new level format which indie gamers can use which supports all new features:
what i am thinking of for features:
- Lightmap calculation and generation
- lua event scripting inside the level format, to try and make the format as portable and very easy to implement
- AI pathfinding painting tools
- simple model editing
- geometry instancing
- model importing
- texture painting
- shader boxes. now what this is is a simply placed cube with an are etc which then prompts a user to attach a material or shader to it (glsl,hlsl) which then implements that shader to to that box. (it would be very useful for water, custom lighting etc.)
- overall shader support
- any other useful features the people of gamedev can think of!
/ config.txt //where all the linking of objects would occur /mesh // all of the mesh objects /textures // all of the textures as .png or any other format /lightmaps /events //for all the lua scripts used /paths // for the ai pathfinding co-ordinates /shaders // for all the glsl/hlsl shader used
the config file would link the shaders,textures,paths,scripts and lightmaps to the meshes. the possibilites are endless.
due to this project being open source, any developer can modify it and recompile it to be used as their level editor specific to their game.
if you are interested in taking part, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org