3D model compression, loading, and unified indices

Started by
-1 comments, last by pondwater 11 years, 9 months ago
Im curious what most people do in terms of storing and reading triangle face indices.

Before thinking about compression I used to store files with non-unified indices (like .obj). This would reduce (uncompressed) file size as there were no duplicates (in terms of whole vertices/normals/texcoords) being stored. However when building unified vectors for OpenGL VBO's, I would not check for duplicates and end up with a bloated and inefficient buffer sizes.

Checking for these duplicates at run time seems wasteful to me so then when exporting to my run-time format I now check for duplicates and store everything in unified indices. This bloated the file a little but reading them in was fast, trivial and more efficient in terms of VBO size.

Now today I saw the recent article http://www.gamedev.net/topic/626987-3d-file-efficiency/ and realized I should start exploring some sort of file compression scheme.

So my question is: before I send my model data into some sort of compression algorithm should I unify my indices and check for duplicates or leave them as is and let the decompression deal with duplicate values/unifying the indices.

Thanks for any input!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement