Inventory Screens...

Started by
26 comments, last by riuthamus 11 years, 8 months ago
gallery_1_371_23835.jpg

What do you think should go above the invnetory slots, if anything. Before you make suggestions, there will be a character screen with the item slots for the character already, so that is not something I would put there. I am looking for ideas that would be relevant to display. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
If you can have more than one inventory tab then the tab buttons would go there. Do not forget to put the close button in the top right corner.

Aside from that you can have a sort button and a label to indicate the number of free slots (used/total). I'm sure not sure those would be good on top. Maybe used/total label is better on bottom and sort button + search box together on top?
I like the tab idea Dir3kt mentioned. If they can't be user set tabs, try using categorized ones, like weapons, armor, potions, etc. Definitely have that close button, whether it says close or is an x or some other creative option.

Perhaps have a hot key setup for the inventory? Something like fast equipables or usables (potions and scrolls).

If you use encumbrance, you could show how weighted the person is.

Another option is something of a value checker, showing how much worth some item has when selected or moved to a box in that open space.
Really great ideas!

I had thougth about maybe putting a box there that would let you drag and item in there, and it would tell you how much the item was worth, and what the item was made of, so you could get a general idea of what is needed to craft that same type of item.

I was also thinking of having an icon of a bag in the middle with a small ring aroudn it, and some design work. Nothing too fancy but enough to where it would take up some space up there. And instead of having a close icon in the upper right, i would make the bag icon clickable to close it. Thoughts?
As long as you have something that allows you to close it, and if it isn't purely known that this is a close icon (the classic X or a button that says "Close"), then place it in a known location for such an icon. The bag should be fine since that represents the inventory. Perhaps having the button to open it look identical.

I like the idea of having the item's components shown. Maybe have tabs at the very top for different features. One for worth and components, one for hot keyed items, and other options depending on the features you have. The tabs could change your currently empty area into a sort of sub menu. Maybe a combine menu (since you mentioned crafting).
Well we have a crafting menu that is 100% separate. This really meant to be for bags and other things related to inventory sorting, and use. I added the search bar function so you can type the name of something and a small highlight will show up on the items that have what you have typed. This will let you find quest items, or hard to pick out ore for later use with crafting and quest turn in.

I could, get rid of the space entirely, but I didnt feel like wasting it if I could put some useful information there. I wanted to see what people/players thought should be part of the inventory screen. Maybe a feature they always desired but that was never present in any games? Somebody had mentioned afflictions or positive buffs. I debated that idea but figure that would be best for the character screen.

As for the tabs idea, i dont mind it but honestly i had not planned on having more than the 60+ slots available. 60+ slots seems a bit crazy for a player and what they could really hold anyway. However, I could see the tabs being used to sort items based off of their type.
If you don't have stats (assuming this is an rpg) on the other portion of the inventory screen, I would put those somewhere. People like to be able to see the immediate results of equipping/unequipping items.
put cursor over item in inventory put description and stats in the upper space.
Would be good to have an enlarged picture of the item and then have some description of the item next to it when you hover over it.
All great ideas, I will play with some today and update this topic. thanks guys! Keep them coming if you have them. I will also show you the crafting screen and see what you guys think on the order/layout of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement