Jump to content
Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:59 PM
Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:20 PM
Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:31 AM
Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:41 AM
Sounds too political to ever be viable save as propaganda game, and those are um, kinda 'niche'.
I have to ask why you would choose this particular time and content material given recent tragic events.
Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:45 PM
-Mark the Artist
Digital Art and Technical Design
Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:07 AM
Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:43 PM
Retailers are going to stay away, which will counteract any free publicity it will get from being controversial.
Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:27 PM
throw table_exception("(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻");
Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:10 PM
Yeah I guess not. I guess this series would just make the NRA grab onto their guns even tighter. The natural response of NRA affiliated persons to violence is to load their guns, after all. I thought it might make them stop and think, but I guess I misjudged their rationale for wanting guns. It's not just to defend against crazies... it's to defend against their critics as well.
Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:07 PM
Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:24 PM
- The US has a high per capita gun death rate for a first world country
- Guns have a higher collateral damage rate than most peacetime weapons
- Compared to weapons such as knives, tasers, etc, the death rate per incident is high
- There are relatively few positive uses for guns in an urban environment (e.g. nothing to hunt)
- The psychological effects of guns can cause quick escalation of arguments
Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:45 PM
Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:47 AM
@bvanevery: Fair call for the reminder that this isn't the Lounge. I don't entirely agree, but I'll do my bit to stop polluting this part of the forum.
I suppose this is off-topic if we can't bring it back to the design of a game. So I'll make a half-hearted effort.
- Ready to write CivGun?
- For instance, a chain gun isn't going to help you in circumstances short of a Steven Segal home defense film.
- From a game design standpoint again YMMV according to the weapon and the geographic culture.
- Again, are you going to make a sim, or an interactive political tract?
- If you want to actually sell a game like this, it might be good to target it at law enforcement, the military, and private security companies - people who would actually pay big bucks for serious depth of sim.
Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:53 AM
Law enforcement is great and all, my younger brother is a cop, but they can't always be counted upon to respond quickly enough, or even at all in the case of a widespread or long-lasting emergency situation.
Aluthreney -- the King of sheep.