Reading texture pixel data

Started by
2 comments, last by MJP 11 years, 8 months ago
Hello,

I need to read pixels from a texture, but it just don't work for me.

ID3D11Resource * texture;
D3DX11CreateTextureFromFile(Engine::GetInstance()->GetDevice(),L"./Binary/Media/Textures/height.dds",NULL,NULL,&texture,NULL);
D3D11_MAPPED_SUBRESOURCE mr;
Engine::GetInstance()->GetContext()->Map( texture, 0, D3D11_MAP_READ, 0, &mr);
Engine::GetInstance()->GetContext()->Unmap( texture,0);

After mapping, i am not getting any valid pointer to pixel data, just null in mr variable.

This DDS texture contains one 16bit floating-point channel , which is used as heightmap for a terrain.
What i am doing wrong?

Thank you very much.

DirectX 11, C++

Advertisement
You need to set D3DX11_IMAGE_LOAD_INFO::CpuAccessFlags to D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_READ and pass structure as 3rd argument, however you'll need to set other structure's values as well, research yourself what they should be.

More info:
http://msdn.microsof...6(v=vs.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsof...7(v=vs.85).aspx
I see :) i missed this parameter, thank you

DirectX 11, C++

Not all resources can be accessed by the CPU. It depends on the flags you passes when you created the resource, specifically the "Usage" and "CPUAccessFlags" members. There's a chart here that shows the valid combinations of these flags.

The D3DX texture loader will load your texture using D3D11_USAGE_IMMUTABLE, which gives you the fastest possible GPU performance for reading the texture. If you don't need to access the texture on the GPU, then what you can do instead is pass a D3DX11_IMAGE_LOAD_INFO structure through the pLoadInfo parameter, and specify that you want D3D11_USAGE_STAGING and D3D11_CPU_ACCESS_READ. Then you should be able to Map your texture and read it on the CPU. If you need to read the texture on GPU, you load a separate version of the texture that will use D3D11_USAGE_IMMUTABLE.

If you enable the debug version of the runtime, you should get error messages in the debug output telling you if make mistake like this. You can turn it on by passing the D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG flag when creating your device.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement