PS2 homebrew

Started by
4 comments, last by 6677 11 years, 7 months ago
Hello, I have been doing c++ on and off for a year. I was wondering where I could find tutorials and communities on ps2 homebrew that are still active. I read the faq but it seems outdated

Thank you for your time
Advertisement
There is an extremely rare PS2 Linux kit that Sony sold back in 2002. Those are well documented and basically just a linux box.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any active PS2 homebrew sites that are still active.
Are there any tutorials?
No, it was a separate piece of hardware.

PS2 is a nasty architecture, one reason that the legitimate Linux version was unpopular and there is practically no homebrew for it. Why do you want to target that particular console?
Because thats what I have, I would use dream cast instead if I had one
I do believe a hacked PS2 is needed to run homebrew disks. Theres a sector of the disk that is used for validating its an officially endorsed CD, this sector can't easily be spoofed by a PC's CD burner so the PS2 will reject the disk as containing pirated software (even if its home devloped software not pirated stuff). Some people hack the firmware of their console (applies to many consoles, 360, gamecube, dreamcast etc) to just ignore that CD sector and on the PS1 there was a little trick involving jamming a paperclip in the lid to trick the console into loading a homebrew or pirated disk.

Basically if you manage to write code that in theory should run on your PS2 fine it still won't run because its not an officially made disk. You would need to hack your console to let it load your game or play your game in an emulator instead, I assume you would want to run on hardware not an emulator (I would).

Anyway these are the only 2 links that seem to have any valid info:
http://ps2homebrewing.wordpress.com/
http://psx-scene.com/forums/ps2-homebrew-dev-emu-scene/

If you have an xbox 360 it also has the xbox live indie game license for $99 although you are limited to using XNA with C# or VB.net, no C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement