selling software product keys?

Started by
3 comments, last by superman3275 11 years, 6 months ago
Can anyone recommend a good API or service where you can sell game product keys online? The game is on Steam, but they permit selling product codes separately on your own website however you wish. Basically looking for a secure and preferably cheap way to sell them.
Advertisement
This is a tough one, I researched this one all last night.

First I would recommend google checkout as the checkout and payment system.
Next use google App Engine and construct a relay server, one that will tie the orders from google checkout with an unchangeable destination server.
Ensure that if the destination server is changed, then no further orders will be processed.
Finally for the destination server side. For this you would just generate the keys and forward them to the correct gmail account.

Google has most of this infastructure in place for companies, which you can leverage yourself.

This is a tough one, I researched this one all last night.

First I would recommend google checkout as the checkout and payment system.
Next use google App Engine and construct a relay server, one that will tie the orders from google checkout with an unchangeable destination server.
Ensure that if the destination server is changed, then no further orders will be processed.
Finally for the destination server side. For this you would just generate the keys and forward them to the correct gmail account.

Google has most of this infastructure in place for companies, which you can leverage yourself.

Hmm that might work. Already using app engine for the game's master server.
How large of an order volume are you receiving for your game? If hundreds of thousands of people are buying your game you will probably need a much more robust system than you will need for handling tens or hundreds of customers. BTW, what is your game? I might like to check it out or buy it. :-)

Please visit our new forums and help us test them and break the ice!
___________________________________________________________________________________
Well, Um, ummmmmm, uuuuummmmmmmm (<- Me thinking) If you can program with networking and databases (If you can't, just get some books or try to recruit someone), It'd be a fairly simple(But Still Hard) Database that holds all the codes, random generator that created a random code, checks it against the database to see if it's already used, and then adds it to the database when it makes a code that hasn't been used. Then when someone puts in a code you'd have your game automatically connect to the server(That holds the database) and check if the code has been used (If they can, say, install on more than one computer just check if it's been used a certain amount of times). I would compare this to a linkedlist? I'm sure if you can't do any networking that might have been kind of cryptic, but I'm sure any network/database programmer you recruit would be able to do it.

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement