2d game ? using OGL 3.0?

Started by
2 comments, last by apatriarca 11 years, 6 months ago
i am going to make a 2d game (fairly simple one) by using SDL or SFML + OpenGL 3.0 but i've started learning OGL recently so the question i have am i in a wrong way?
Advertisement
Sorry i must have posted this in For Beginners section.
that's ok.. it's perfectly fine for you to start early with OpenGL 3.0
it's abit complicated, and i would probably (myself) have started with opengl 1.0/2.0 stuff just to learn how it all worked!
however, a short time ago i would have told you that many people don't support opengl 3.0 and so you would reach a broader audience with 2.0/2.1
this is for the most part no longer true as intel's newer integrated "gpu's" now support opengl 3.1 (or 3.3, i cant remember)
so, my advice is just have at it!
start simple!

here is a news item regarding updated intel drivers:
http://www.geeks3d.com/20120506/intel-hd-graphics-driver-v2729-with-opengl-4-support-and-new-opengl-extensions/
I personally suggest to start from OpenGL 3.1 (or above) and to use the Core profile (at least during development). It may be easier to start with the fixed pipeline and with some of the deprecated features. They are however deprecated and most computers now support some form of programmable pipeline and you will have to learn all the stuff anyway in the future. Moreover, there are quite good tutorial out there now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement