I want to know if you think I can make it as a VG composer.

Started by
6 comments, last by mettsmusic 11 years, 6 months ago
Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://soundcloud.com/mettsmusic/piano-solo-in-g-minor
Advertisement
It's a nice piece but I can't see how it would fit much VG stuff, maybe you should update saying what you think its purpose could be. Seems like you've just played a jazzy piece and then posted here to see if it fits, whereas I would recommend actually thinking about the genre into which you're trying to "make it" :)
www.soundcloud.com/roblaidlowmusic
Call me Rob
Along with what Rob stated, there's much more to being a successful video game composer than just writing good music. Sure that's the foundation but you also have to:

- understand current tech tricks/limitations
- be an excellent communicator (especially for interacting with those who know little to nothing about music but have to sign off on content)
- be able to hit deadlines without fail
- be a pleasure to work with
- be a solid networker

If you're freelancing then you can also add:

- find work
- read/write and negoitate contracts
- accounting (creating invoices, collecting monies owed, budgeting for your personal and business needs, etc)
- develop sound business/marketing plans to grow your business

Too often some just focus on if the music is good enough and forget all of the rest. Best of luck to you!

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thanks Tonedeafrob and nsmadsen for the feedback! I will think about your advice and implement it in my future post. I am studying Entertainment Industry at the University of Southern Mississippi. I'm still learning about the legal side of the entertainment business, but it's the networking side of it that really scares me. You know what they say. You have to know somebody that knows somebody. Any advice?
You have to know somebody that knows somebody. Any advice?[/quote]
Only that this part really is true. ;)
You study in the Entertainment Industry, make friends!

it's the networking side of it that really scares me. You know what they say. You have to know somebody that knows somebody. Any advice?

Take time to develop your craft and let it speak for itself. This comes with time and tons of hard work. When networking just be yourself, don't try to inflate your credentials or change who you are. Try to connect with people first and let the career objectives/goals/angles come secondary. In other words don't make your interactions solely about how someone should hire you. That gets boring and stale super fast. Instead talk about common interests: food, games, books, art, sports, beer, etc.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Nate's advice is spot on (as always).
it's the networking side of it that really scares me.[/quote]

Just like music, networking takes practice and comes more easily to some than to other's.. It's tough to be able to walk to a stranger and engage in a conversation.

Here is' what networking is not:
You meet someone and chat with them for 3 minutes, then hand them your business card/demo CD, etc.

Here's what networking IS:
You meet someone and ask about them. You build a relationship, with no immediate agenda. If you discover that you have something that can help them, you do so. You do this a lot, over a period of time. You remember their names/faces when you see them again. Eventually they'll trust you (and you them). That may happen over a period of months, or a couple of hours. Do that with a lot of people, and you will probably be remembered when that person is looking for a composer (or one of their buddies is.).
Also, do it with people who are at the same level as you (just starting out) but in different disciplines-- programming, art, design, etc. As those people grow into their own careers, they'll be part of your network.

When networking just be yourself, don't try to inflate your credentials[/quote]
That is 1000% true! It's a small industry and word gets around fast.

I was at E3 several years ago and a young producer started chatting me up. He talked about how he was the "Brains" behind "Mortal Kombat". He went on and on about how he oversaw the rules, gameplay, controller feel issues, etc. Now as it turns out,the actual creator of Mortal Kombat (Ed Boon) is a good friend of mine (He was best man at my wedding). So definitely knew this guy was blowing smoke. (it was fun to see his face when I asked him if he knew Ed, and that he was a buddy of mine). Later I found out from Ed that all this guy was an associate producer, doing project management for the port of the arcade game to console; not quite what one would call the "Brains" behind the game..

Never inflate your credentials.

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Haha! Wow that story is hilarious! It really must be a small industry! Thanks for the advice. This is great stuff to know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement