Are people getting tired of voxel games?

Started by
20 comments, last by Orymus3 11 years, 5 months ago
There are so many voxel games now (Minecraft, FortressCraft, CastleMiner, etc.), and I am wondering if people are starting to get tired of them. I was working on one myself, but I think by the time I finished it people would be tired of these sorts of games.
Advertisement
no smile.png

Besides: Minecraft isn't Voxel.
voxel is not a genre.

voxel is not a genre.

By voxel games, I mean the cube-based games you see all over the place now. I'm not saying that building such a game is not worth it anymore, I was just wondering if players are getting tired of them
I think ppl are bored of Minecraft clones, not voxel rendering.

Why someone would play a Minecraft clone when Minecraft itself its right there? Either some devs make a "Minecraft" undeniably bigger and better (which I gladly play), or they should do something else altogether, with voxels or without them.

I've yet to see a good game with higher resolution voxels for example, or a game with voxels that isn't based around Minecraft's mechanics.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

A lot of people in this thread don't get the point. The problem is the same as with mobas:no one is deviating much with few exceptions (i.e. terraria)

I think by the time I finished it people would be tired of these sorts of games.
None of my friends (myself included) jumped on this "cubes are fun" bandwagon. But if that's your fear, don't worry: you, as a lone developer will always be late. At best, you'll be lucky and hit a nice spot that somehow makes you a successful developer. In general: find your idea, an idea in which you believe, and stick to it.

Previously "Krohm"

you, as a lone developer will always be late.
Minecraft was done by a lone dev. Generally, I think it is the opposite, a lone dev works faster than a big team. Why it is that is a mystery of the universe but that's how it works to my observations smile.png

As for people being tired of cubes, it's the same question about people being bored of pixels. It's an elemental block of which you make a game, it's too small to really get bored about since it alone does not decide if a game will be fun or not.
If this is about "cubes that work like Minecraft" then it is another thing of course :)

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Yep. Even though the most obvious idea for a voxel system is "Lets let the user move the voxels around and build stuff!", doesn't mean there isn't an infinite number of other ideas you could build on top of them.

You just have to make more of an effort then trying to copy the gameplay of big hits.

I even think there still might be room in the market for a building-game, but you really have to bring at least something new to the table.

Yep. Even though the most obvious idea for a voxel system is "Lets let the user move the voxels around and build stuff!", doesn't mean there isn't an infinite number of other ideas you could build on top of them.
I think Minecraft's idea is not even the most obvious one, it only seems so post-Minecraft. Freeform destruction is the most obvious.

The uniformity of a large-grained voxel world should make it possible to run much more optimized physics. An engine that lets you take out walls and whole buildings organically would be good for a lot of stuff. Reimagining of Rampage, for one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement