RPG + Fitness = Fitness RPG? Need advice

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Franzen 11 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I have this idea of making a game combining role playing and exercising into a role playing exercise game...The idea is simple. Just like a normal RPG, you train your hero, go on quest, gain experience and kill stuff. The only difference is that to train your hero you have to do exercises yourself. My game will track how much exercise you do to assign EXP to your hero.

If you are thinking about the gamification craps,... no, this is not it.angry.png It will be a game with stories, awesome artwork, real battles, and exercises, of course.

Most of my friends say it's a cool idea, but then to put down the time and money to work on a project like this, it's a lot. So I want to hear some honest comment from people I don't know before committing to it. I already have some artwork and story done. PM me if you want to see more of what i have so far.smile.png

main_characters.jpg
Thanks!
Advertisement
So how does it work?

Do you just tell it how much you exercise on an honour system, or does it actually track your exercise with console hardware? Are you thinking WiiMote, a Wii-Fit balance board, Kinect, or something else?

It sounds like an interesting idea, but the specifics would make a big difference in whether or not the final product is enjoyable. It's probably at least worth prototyping if you're able to do so without undue difficulty.

- Jason Astle-Adams

From gamedesign perspective you are creating a hybrid game (fitness game + rpg). The dangesr of making a hybrid game is always:
1. Your game scratch only the core ideas of the base genres.
2. Your game is only attractive to the intersection of the two gamer sets which would play both base genres.
3. You can't easily beat the execution level of a sole gerne game while still making it accessible and not too complex.

I would first check the target audience (2.). Who are playing fittness games ? Who are playing rpgs ? Core or casual gamers ? Why are people buying fittness games ? To play a game or to drop some weight ?
You must play it on your smart phone and attach it on your neck on a string so that it can use the acceleration sensor along with the gps to determine when you are exercising. (would work for jogging/biking?)

That might actually work... I cant think of easy ways to cheat other than riding a horse or jumping up and down in a human-run-speed-advancing public transport vehicle...

It wouldnt work for stationary exercises though or people would just shake the phone (well i guess that should give you some exp, it exercises your arm after all).

Another way to get it work would be using lets say kinect to detect exercising, but that only works for stationary ones.

o3o

I cant think of easy ways to cheat other than riding a horse or jumping up and down in a human-run-speed-advancing public transport vehicle...

812023224_miQEV-L.jpg

There are a variety of ways to cheat pedometer systems though, including riding the subway, suspending it on a string while driving at high speeds, and even leaving it atop a washer or box fan. It has to be broad enough to cover a wide spectrum of human mobility, which means a lot of room for abuse.

I do think it's a neat idea if there was some way to enforce it, perhaps using the Kinect, but you're going to have to rely on the honor system otherwise. People who are playing the game to cheat are playing for the wrong reasons anyways.

You do have to worry about making it too good a game, where people will cheat simply because they want to do more in their session but won't tolerate exercising further. "Just one more level" has destroyed lazier gamers than this.
I agree with Haps on the cheating issue. People will always find a way (I was thinking more of Ruxin in The League wearing the running gauge while masterbating, but same concept, haha) and spending all of your efforts preventing it may cause your gameplay to suffer (or make the exercises required boring).

If you're looking to encourage exercise through your game you could also consider simply applying the player's physical fitness to their in-game stats. In place of being forced to do pushups or squats infront of the Kinect or with equipment strapped on you could have a translation between certain real life physical feats and the player's character stats. How quickly the player can run a mile could indicate the character's stamina, # of pushups/pullups under a minute can be strength, 40 yard dash agility or speed. As the player enhances his physical fitness he enters his new stats and the game translates that to increases in the character's stats. By making it multiplayer groups of friends can police themselves, encouraging eachother's fitness levels while enjoying the results both in real life and in game. This will also prevent you from discouraging non fitness oriented gamers, as they could, well, cheat.

Either way the concept of integrating video games and fitness is an admirable one that I believe should be explored, so good luck.
Good news, everyone! I have a signature now!
I think the pacing will become big problem.
"Normal" RPG-s can be reasonably be played through in about 40-120 hours. For most players it will take 1-2 weeks of serious gameplay.
Now you probably want to keep players exercising for much longer than only 1-2 weeks. To do that you have to lower the pace of game while keeping it interesting. But if you lower the pace too much people become impatient and either cheat or lose interest.
In any case it will be interesting design exercise so please keep us updated of your ideas/progress.
Lauris Kaplinski

First technology demo of my game Shinya is out: http://lauris.kaplinski.com/shinya
Khayyam 3D - a freeware poser and scene builder application: http://khayyam.kaplinski.com/
One thought I had was about a making the player accountable for their exercise.
To make them more accountable would be to take some control away from them.

Look at traditional gyms. Aside from the monthly bill, they are motivated by personal trainers. If you made "experience" handed out by personal trainers on an online community based off of before and after pictures that were taken with their camera phones, then you could control cheaters and help the player continue with their progress. Maybe even add an in-game app on the game to take and upload their progress images, so that way you know they aren't just taking pictures of models and stuff. Heck, you could even call these trainers something like "Guild Masters" or something to help keep the continuity between the game and their real life fitness goals.

One possible problem with this is its a costly solution, but there is serious potential for profitability by finding a partnership with a gym or fitness company which could make it even easier to hold players accountable for their fitness. And it may be a great stepping stone to break that stigma of gamers being lazy and doughy. biggrin.png

Just imagine, a world where gamers are all buff and fit. People will see you coming and say "Oh, don't mess with him. Just look at him, he must be a really high level!" laugh.png

Addition: @Lauris - I used to be semi-addicted to a game called HoboWars for over a year, some days sinking a couple hours just grinding away. I understand that in a traditional sense, most RPGs don't take too long, but I think if he adds a social dynamic, he could get people hooked, which will help with growing the game and keep the players on their fitness goals.

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

Guys, thank you so much for the comments!

I understand that if this game comes to life, people will want to cheat to see what’s gonna happen next. But I don’t think many people will do it because it will take away the fun of playing this game. Even if they do, I think I should focus on the people who seriously enjoy this game and exercises that come with it, and create such a good game for them. So honor system for now.

@Ashaman: your comment touched on one of my concern: I do want to have as many people enjoy this game as possible, but for anything to be good, it cannot please everyone. I guess I will need to do a lot more research, asking around to see who would like to play this game. Possibly I will survey more people, ask them to sign up to beta test and things like that, to get a real sense of who are really going to play this.

Does anyone know how to find people to beta test? And look for feedback as wellsmile.png

@Dave: Man, gamers have lots of determination; so if my game can attrack them enough, your vision will come truelaugh.png I will indeed work with real certified personal trainers to come up with exercises and then provide advice on how to do things properly, customer support type of thing.

I was thinking about making it an iphone or android game. But then 1) development cost for iphone/android game is so high, I will be eating ramen for 10 years before I can afford it, 2) this is indeed a hybrid game that requires developers with not only game development knowledge but also other types of application as well. So now I’m hoping someone can suggest some engine or language that could achieve something like this, is well-known and relatively cheap to get a hold of. The game will have of course some turn-based battles, videos, and then for the exercises, some achievement tracking ability.

@Dave: I will indeed work with real certified personal trainers to come up with exercises and then provide advice on how to do things properly, customer support type of thing

One problem with providing direct exercise advice is the potential liability for injuries. Google any fitness site and take a look at their ToS agreements to see how quickly they disavow responsibility for their own information. This is why most tracking systems are self-reported, or pedometers, as they only measure someone's natural movement and don't force you to a particular action or rate. But, your game might put them in a position where they have to follow your instructions to advance. You'll definitely need a certified, experienced trainer to draft the exercises, and likely a lawyer to protect you as well.

If you find the cost of Android development high, you really won't like what it takes to pay these guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement