But when I could carry around a little computer with internet connection I could write programs for, the choice was easy
Laptop screen too small for me to write code. I like to see a lot of lines at once wide.
Apple did not invent. They innovated. Very difficult to truly invent. But much easier to innovate. Which is to take an existing set of ideas and put it together as one, or make an idea, invention, or other innovation better in a unique way.
So the list of innovations for a phone all together as one (just the hardware):
- Responsive touch only screen on phone.
- Three axis accelerometers
- Proximity sensor so screen goes off when you hold it to your face
- GPU accelerated graphics on a phone
- much bigger screen on phone than what was typical at the time
- doing way with the stylus
- 60 FPS from the beginning
- Full featured browser less flash plugin
- Bounce back to provide organic feel for scrolling and other seemly superfluous animations to your most staunch logical techno nerds
- call waiting that actually works properly on a smart phone. I have not an android phone yet that does this properly.
- soft keyboard on phone
- Random access voice messages - still missing to this day on galaxy nexus.
- responsiveness and fluidness - of which android is finally there with jelly bean - less running a c++ game engine on earlier versions of android.
- UI that automatically reorientates based on how the device is held
- beautiful perhaps overly simplistic UI that required no documentation or guess work to use or figure out
This is said from a current android phone user. I give credit where credit is due.