Best engine to use alongside Blender?

Started by
4 comments, last by mike4 11 years, 5 months ago
Hey, I'm semi-new to game development. I made a game in Unity 3D, but I felt it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of how much I wanted to program myself. I'm looking for an engine to use with easily loading Blender models. What would you recommend?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting all of you!
Advertisement

Hey, I'm semi-new to game development. I made a game in Unity 3D, but I felt it wasn't what I was looking for in terms of how much I wanted to program myself. I'm looking for an engine to use with easily loading Blender models. What would you recommend?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting all of you!

Ahh I see you mean all exported types.

Blender exports models to .x too which XNA supports but it needs to be enabled via preferences
As for engines, honestly most should support the common types, I cant see why Collada / FBX wouldnt be supported in an engine, if worse come to the worse you will just have to parse one of the files yourself either with a library or yourself and Collada imo would be the best option
If you're looking at getting your hands a bit more dirty with the programming side of things then perhaps you could look into the XNA framework and focus on making a game with it rather than on using an engine.

I found that Blender worked surprisingly well with the content pipeline in XNA as I was able to basically drag and drop models into my game and see them just automagically appear. However, I believe you needed to export to .fbx for that to happen. It was a couple years ago when I was doing this so I'm a bit hazy on how I was doing things... I just remember it being extremely simple and straightforward.

If you're looking at getting your hands a bit more dirty with the programming side of things then perhaps you could look into the XNA framework and focus on making a game with it rather than on using an engine.

I'm actually on Arch Linux, but I can still use an implemented version of it. Is there anything more cross platform you would recommend?

[sub]The XNA is good, but why not use the Blender game engine? It's also pretty good. The latest version was recently released with a bunch of refinements, additions, and bug-fixes. Some of the stuff being made lately with the Blender game engine are wonderful and very amazing. Take a look on the Blender website or on YouTube and you will see truely nice looking games.[/sub]

[sub]Clinton[/sub]

[sub]Edit for a typo.[/sub]

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

Ogre might interesting for you, Torque3D might only get cross platform in a while hopefully.
There's also gamekit, well most can import from Blender it depends on the language you want to
program.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement