Causual gaming ideas!

Started by
9 comments, last by ankit.86j 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi to all,

So I want to design a commercial causual game using Unity, I have many cartoonic assets of all kinds, but I run out of ideas! How can I find one! is there a place/site that helps you on that! I'am not a writer but I had played hundreds and hundreds of games, but now Iam very confused what to make!
Advertisement
Check out Casual Game Design. It's a good book covering the mechanics of a variety of casual games. I learned a lot from it.

Roy
Northwest Arkansas Game Developer Group
Live in Fayetteville, Springdale, Bentonville, or Rogers?
Interested in making video games and having fun?
Check us out on Meetup.
If you have your target in mind.. did you draw when you were a kid? Those things, the adventures you went on, is a pretty good source of inspiration.
Let me create worlds, and I'll let you imagine they are realities.

Check out Casual Game Design. It's a good book covering the mechanics of a variety of casual games. I learned a lot from it.

Roy

Thanks but Isn't there more easier solution than reading 250 pages book wacko.png
I have an immense imagination, but don"t like drawing at all :D
Here's one big secret to design:

Inspiration is all around you! You just have to 'see' it.

Basically, yes you can sit there and try to "force" yourself to think of a certain game design, but in my experience this is not the best way to go about game design. I find that my best ideas just come to me whilst simply going through my normal life. What you need to do is recognise when you have one of those ideas and note the idea down in one sentence. Then later when you sit at your desk instead of trying to "force" yourself to think of an idea, you already have your initial idea from inspiration to start from.

Note: this is based on the number of ideas from "forced" and "came to me" that I throw out.
I love building games to the soundtrack of the radio when I commute. Its especially difficult to build games to the songs I hate which makes it a fun challenge. Because its the radio I hate most the music! Local radio plays a lot more classical and indie which allows me to go beyond the usual top 40 as well.
Have you tried browsing a casual games sales site and making a note of which ones seem the most exciting to you? Maybe you could mix and match elements from these to make something original you like.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

You could have a look through "Three Hundred Mechanics", which presents some interesting ideas the author is happy for anyone to use. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

You could have a look through "Three Hundred Mechanics", which presents some interesting ideas the author is happy for anyone to use. smile.png

Thanks I will check it, seems interesting :)
If you're looking for someone to collaborate with as a writer/designer, you could try posting on the Help Wanted section; maybe you could find someone to handle the parts of the project you're less interested in.

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement