Java Game Programming Books

Started by
1 comment, last by Baxter4343 11 years, 4 months ago
I'm currently a sophomore in attaining my Computer Science degree and in my second semester of Java programming, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of a good book that teaches beginning Java Game Programming. No current experience in game development but wanting to start asap and thought it was a good time to coincide with my studies. Thanks,
-Braxton
Advertisement
Well if you don't know ANY programming then you should learn an easier one before Java but if you're up for the challenge then go for it. If you do have experience with Java then I'll list some resources you can use to get game programming very soon. I learnt more from videos than I did from books because, frankly, videos tend to explain things more.

Killer Game Programming In Java Book (2D stuff is useful but the 3D stuff uses the Java3D engine which sucks).
http://www.youtube.com/course?list=ECA331A6709F40B79D&feature=plcp (Youtube playlist.
Physics For Game Developers Book (You use a lot of Math in game development. Especially trigonometry).

You should focus on doing 2D development before you do any 3D development.
My university teaches Java as their primary language so any programming I do know is in Java. My game development experience is pretty much 0 though. I just figured a book would be easier thinking it would be more step-by-step. But thanks I'll check out your suggestions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement