Stylistic Graphics Approach?

Started by
2 comments, last by Ashaman73 11 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys, some of you know that I'm working on a zombie apocalypse simulator. How would you feel about a stylistic grpahics approach to this genre? Ex: Borderlands.
My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
Advertisement
Cel-shaded zombie killing? That could be pretty awesome if the artwork is good enough. Would definitely be a fresh change of pace, though you'd wanna make certain things weren't too bright and colorful or it would detract from the intensity of an apocalypse simulation.
This is the direction Walking Dead took since it was based off of a graphic novel. The only way to determine a style is concept art and test models/texture/shaders. Its like laying out a test pallet of colors before creating a painting to determine the mood or atmosphere. If I may, I'd create conceptual animation along with the static concept art because video games live or un-die by their game animation. If it doesn't move right it wont look right no matter how rad the static designs are.

How would you feel about a stylistic grpahics approach to this genre? Ex: Borderlands.

Yes, every genre will work with stylized art. 99% of all the art in games are stylized to some degree, photorealism is more or less just a direction.

But be really careful about stylized art. A common missconception is, that stylized art is simpler or easier to make, which could be a real burden.

Yes, stylized art involved sometimes less work, once you have a working style.

No, creating a stylized art direction is by far not easier than using a realistic style.

The problem is, that coming up with a proper art style is really hard and needs often professional artists. Using reality as base is simpler, because you have lot of references, though using all the details of modern AAA games often have the disadvantage to involve lot of work.

Even games like borderlands don't reinvented the wheel and have for sure some inspiration from art like this (compare the intro for this short to the intro of borderlands I):
Codehunters

Edit: added answer to question first, removed embedded video and inserted it as link. smile.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement