How many hours do you program in a day?

Started by
23 comments, last by Aliii 11 years, 3 months ago

I program around 1 to 1.5 hours a day, what about you?

Advertisement

Depends a lot on my motivation. If I'm busy or feeling out of it, I may not program at all. The rest of the time, I'll average four hours on week days and twelve hours on weekends.

It depends on my mood and motivation as well, some days I don't touch a single line of code, other days I'll code all day nonstop. I never looked at it as an average, but if I had to, I would say 2.5 hours a day on average of raw coding on average. A lot of the work in development is also planning and research (both internet and in books) and that takes a lot of time too. If you program without ever stopping to read up on alternative methods to solve problem X or how to implement design Y more elegantly, you're doing it wrong IMHO.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I try and get around 6 hours of coding done per week day mellow.png

A while ago I installed ManicTime on my work PC to find out (it's basically just personal spyware that records what you do and lets you view graphs etc). I knew that a lot of time is taken up with thinking, planning, testing, talking, etc, but I was pretty surprised that in many of my 8-hour work days, I'd spend as little as 3 hours actually writing code!

Though I consider myself a programmer, I end up doing more project management stuff on a day to day basis at my health industry consulting job. So, on most days its actually 0 hours unless I work on my game project at home (about 1-5 hours depending on my level of motivation/tiredness).

[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

I am a student and I play basketball ball so I try to get in 2-3 hours in after I get home from basketball and finish my homework, which ends up being around 7. Some nights I just have to much homework or have a game though and don't ever get to coding. I like to plan out my weekdays of coding on the weekends and break it up into small doable chunks (Pretty much larger functions or very small classes). So I do most of my thinking and planning on the weekends which really seems to make it easier because all I am doing is implementing on weekdays (unless I run into problems).

I am still a learning, so i don't get that much time non-stop coding. I go to highschool full time so i cannot program all day, so i try to get about 2 hours of learning and playing with code a day, if I am not wasting it playing Leage of Legends tongue.png.

At work I get about 2-6 hours of mundane web coding done a day.

I try and get an hour or two of the more fun stuff in at home at least every other day. :)

My Games -- My Music 

Come join us for some friendly game dev discussions over in XNA Chat!

5-7h for me, unless you only count the time i'm actively writing code. (Programming imo is more than just writing code)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

typing coding, maybe 3-4 hours a day, planning/thinking/researching maybe 6-10 hours per day(including the 3-4 for actually typing). i spend a couple hours almost every night lying in bed going over code in my head, and possible design decisions to change for what i'm working on. sometimes i simply can't fall asleep unless i pull up my laptop and write out some code to fix an issue, or implement some design that i've been thinking about heavily.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement