I am trying to choose the right way for me. I am rewriting some parts of my engine and now i stand before this question.
I will use these indexed/nonindexed primitives only for imported models ( characters or objects ), not for terrains, particles.
Let's say the advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of indexed primitives:
- Primitive can take less memory
- They are rendered faster ( because of first point ? )
Disadvantages of indexed primitives:
- More complex models needs normals/bitangents/tangents/uvs/colours per vertex
- We have to bind two buffers, vertex and index
- cache miss, if indexes not ordered propertly
and nonindexed are opposite of these.
Is indexed primitives really faster to render for medium complex objects ( even, 50% of vertices needs different normals/tangents/.... so they are reperating actually ). Perhaps it's easy to answer, i would like to hear opinions from more experienced users.
Thank you very much.