Continuing a Game that is a clone

Started by
5 comments, last by MatthewMorigeau 11 years, 2 months ago

I created a game called "Fantapong" that is pong with a class tree and stats for your paddle. I originally made this as a simple way to test HTML5/javascript. My co-workers love it. They think I should make it cross platform (ios, win32, android, osx, linux) and release it. I think the concept is simply a small advancement on pong and not worth it. I thought of ways to add value to the game such as cpu levels, missions like landing trick shots, and a quest system where you fight "monster" paddles.

Here it is (it requires 2 players):

http://www.ericmcconnell.com/Fantapong/Fantapong.html

Do you guys think copies of Pong are worth pursuing? Is the game design beaten to death at this point?

Advertisement

I think your Fantapong is interesting, but I dunno...

When looking at most games these days, they are a little more complex in graphics and context. Granted, not all are done well, but that's a tangent for a different topic.biggrin.png While I understand this is just a proof of concept or learning exercise, I enjoyed your game well enough, but I think it could really benefit from context.

Take for example if you changed it to a top down one-on-one wizard battle and the players are vollying with a fireball using magic shields. As you level up, you get different types of magic to use to make your battle easier.

With adding that context, it becomes more appealling (at least to me), doesn't have a big graphics requirement at all, and gives meaning to the entire leveling system without changing the core gameplay at all.

As for the question of if the pong thing has been done to death; I'm going to go with no. There have been a slew of break-out games lately and no shortage of catapult clones over the years, so why not go back to pong? Also, I can't really think of a pong-like game that has come out lately, let along one that has caught my eye...

But yeah, I like it. If you like it, run with it.biggrin.png

Check out my game blog - Dave's Game Blog

I created a game called "Fantapong" that is pong with a class tree and stats for your paddle. I originally made this as a simple way to test HTML5/javascript. My co-workers love it. They think I should make it cross platform (ios, win32, android, osx, linux) and release it. I think the concept is simply a small advancement on pong and not worth it. I thought of ways to add value to the game such as cpu levels, missions like landing trick shots, and a quest system where you fight "monster" paddles.

Here it is (it requires 2 players):

http://www.ericmcconnell.com/Fantapong/Fantapong.html

Do you guys think copies of Pong are worth pursuing? Is the game design beaten to death at this point?

I haven't seen a pong like game in a long time. With so many releases in the industry its hard to be unique with a project. Take pong and put a twist on it. Just don't rip pong off and add a price tag to it.

a quest system against monster-paddles would be very good, since right now you need two players to play.
(which coincidentially would ve made play-testing a bit easier for me, cant realy say anything about the classes right now except that the concept seems to be simple, which is good, and working)

Thanks for the help guys ;)

just played for a good 10 mins on my own haha. i think you have really gave a plain game a very interesting and youthful twist, i just wanted to get all the upgrades and try every level, all i say is update the graphics and keep the same concept maybe add more levels and something you can spend your points on or something... Brilliant keep it up i hope too see it on the droid or apple marketplace (y)

Should get Allan Alcorn to voice the quests dialogue ;D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement