An aspie in need

Started by
18 comments, last by Adaline 11 years, 1 month ago

GameDev,

My name is Noah Bangs. For as long as I've been on these forums, some people have criticized me for being inexperienced or some other reason. I tried multiple times to get help, but there was nothing. I updated my profile saying that I have Asperger Syndrome, even posted about it.

People might look at me with a different perspective now. My disability hinders my learning, and its heartbreaking. But my desire to get video games done never died.

Nobody, especially people with disabilities, deserve to be judged, criticized or anything else.

I can't make video games by myself. That is why I try each time to gather help. I am trying one last time to attempt to raise money, only this time it's for my sake. I don't want to live in shallow places and work dead end jobs my whole life. I want to be somebody.

Call me whatever you want, but you have to admit that I never gave up. If you want, fund my cause at the link below.

{Removed by moderator}

God bless,

Noah Bangs

Advertisement

Noah, I've looked over your past posts.

Most of them are announcements that you plan to release massive projects. Most of them would be multi-million dollar, multi-year endeavors.

Many of them are solicitations for money.

Nobody cares about Asperger's or any other issues. I know lots of professional developers with mental and physical issues. I even know several quadrapalegics in the games industry --- one only has partial use of three fingers on one hand, yet he is able to create great things. This is not an issue of prejudice against disabilities.

If you want to make games, then MAKE GAMES. That means you need to actually learn to create code, or learn to create models, or learn to create animations.

Instead of talking about your big plans and ideas how about you spend some time actually creating something of value? Anybody can talk big about their big ideas. The successful ones actually do something about it.

If you want people to help you out on your projects you will need to start by creating the project to help with. That doesn't mean just creating a kickstarter page. It means actively developing something large enough that people can contribute to.

Yea, if you've been waiting long you may also be struggling with what to learn after taking too many tracks so i'll sugest one, no need to argue wether it's the best as that's not the point, but it's a track and fairly quickly rewarding which seems to be what you need.

Download unity 3D (free) and bite the $20 that it costs to buy a subscribtion to digital tutors & start watching their videos on unity, you've got like a week's worth of content on there including how to make a game from scratch to end IIRC.

And you can't "be somebody", by just saying i want money, i agree with the previous poster, don't ask for money, do things yourselves, no one you've heard of (or almost no one) who is "somebody" started on forums saying "give me money". They started by studying subject, people who "are somebody" are people who are able to get things done, not everyone is able to do so, but no one can fix that for you.

Now if you explain clearly how your disability hinders your learning, there may be some alternative learning options, but just getting money out of thin air won't work because 1) people have no reasons to give you money, people with experience who already proved they get things done have to sell themselves pretty good to get funding, so no luck at someone with no experience stating he couldn't get anything done and 2) because even if someone did give you money, it wouldn't change squat, you wouldn't be any more able to do video games, you'd go from unable to do video games to unable to do videogames + having money.

To put this simply, your not the only one on this forum with an autism spectrum disorder I am sure there are many others. It is very common in the technological industry. Other people with the same problems do fine without any financial support to start a game. There are tons of free game engines, you can start with.

I would recommend in the future you should probably go about having someone you close to in real life review what you post before you post it. Asking for money wont get you anywhere, if you think you need money that badly get a loan, or grant.

And ideally work with counselors on alleviating your symptoms of autism, otherwise you will be struggling in the real world as well.

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/633565-why-i-post-a-lot-of-game-ideas/

did you take nothing from that post you made several months ago?

i don't know what it is you expected, but your going to simply get the exact same responses you got last time you brought up this topic(and now u've pretty much asked people to contribute to fund your life.)

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Ok...I'm not gonna beat around the bush here...the soooner you accept, as a cold, hard, fact, that NOBODY is going to make a videogame for you or fund you when you don't have a relatively solid project, the better. Just get that notion out of your head, it's not a possibility. Yes, it's tragic that you have this condition that hinders your life, and I know, because I have mental disorders myself, namely OCD and depression(I'm just mentioning it to show you that you're not alone here). Many people here have this kind of problems. But not all is bleak: for example, you mentioned in your funding page that you have a job and make decent money out of it. That's very good. It's certainly better than what I am doing right now, which is getting paid for peanuts (but then, living in Greece and all, that is kinda expected right now, I should be grateful that I'm even amongst the elect few that have a job!) tongue.png

But the point is: If you can't learn how to make games yourself(that is, pick up a relative skill such as programming, level design or art and become proficient at it), you won't make games, period. It's just the way it is. So I suggest you get to it: start learning! On this age, you can find nearly infinite material about anything online, you can ask people to help you pick up the more fitting material, you can ask people to help you with all sorts of technical or conceptual problems you might have, and that's it. Anything else will lead absolutely nowhere. And realize this will likely take years and lots, lots of patience. If patience doesn't come naturally, force yourself. If you don't have patience, ability to learn and perseverance, you won't be able to manage a team(which is tremendously hard, and definately not akin to sit and tell the tech people what cool stuff to put on the game) in order to make a quality game anyway, so you're back to square one. It simply can't be done any other way. Just can't. There's no Royal Road to game development, to paraphrase Euclid a bit here.

To reiterate: If you don't make your dream game, nobody will.

No one cares that you have Asperger's. Not in any meaningful way for what you're trying to do, anyway.

Ideas are basically worthless. Ideas are only worth anything if they are successfully implemented.

You need to prove that you can do something with your ideas before anyone invests money or time in them.

You are trying to skip a few steps. You need to learn some useful skills and have something that proves that before you can solicit support for your own projects from other people.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Noah: no one has put you down or told you that you can't succeed because of your asperger's.

They've given you the exact same advice that everyone else -- with OR without disabilities -- is given when they come to this community with huge ideas: your goals are unrealistic, and you need to put in the time and effort to learn a useful skill.

You CAN do this. Other people with similar conditions or other difficulties succeed with game development all the time.

The reason you still haven't succeeded isn't that you have asperger's syndrome, it's because you're using your condition as an excuse and not really trying.
Stop expecting people to just do things FOR you and let us help you -- through advice, help, resources, etc. -- to actually do something for yourself.

Forget about trying to raise money. You don't need it yet, because you should be starting with much smaller, more easily achievable projects.
Forget about trying to recruit others, because you should be spending the time to learn a useful skill BEFORE you'll be ready to work with others.
Forget about constantly explaining about your asperger's syndrome, because it isn't the thing that's holding you back.

Stop using your asperger's as an excuse, and actually get something done, just like everyone else does whether they face difficulties or not.

You CAN make games if you put in the time and effort, and we live in a time where there are support, resources and technology available make it easier than ever to succeed. However, you will NEVER make games if you continue to pursue unrealistic goals, seek funding, and pretend that your asperger's is the thing holding you back.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and go learn to make some games already! I see 13 different topics in your profile history, but only a single one where you even asked for advice on learning how to program -- which you seemed to give up on within the very same topic. There's nothing wrong with sharing ideas, but it won't get your games made. You also keep asking for funding, but it just isn't going to happen while you have nothing other than an idea -- you need to spend the time to develop those basic skills, and you need to attempt some smaller more reasonable projects.

(Posted from mobile.)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Noah, I think it's really sad that you claim people judge you because of your aspergers when no one had any idea that you had aspergers until you told them so. So basically you're trying to gain an advantage because of your mental state, not because someone treated you unfairly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement