Programming with Kinect?

Started by
2 comments, last by EMascheG 11 years, 1 month ago

Hi Comunity Gamedev.net

I interesting programming with the kinect to use for create my small studio of Mocap or Motion Capture, I see is cheap and make good result for animations. So i start investigate what i need to program with Kinect and find 3 results, there are:

- OpenNI Standard Framework

http://www.openni.org/

- OpenKinect

htttp://www.openkinect.org/

- Microsoft Kinect SDK

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/develop/developer-downloads.aspx

I see the three works with Kinect and find tutorials,site and comunity they are using the 3 tools for kinect and anothers use all or 2 in the same time.

So who someone know can help to tell what are the diference with OpenNI,OpenKinect,Kinect SDK,. So for example who is more better to schedule with Kinect for Mocap and animations for videogames. Who have more tutorials or support of the community or easy to understand, have examples and for me is important be MultiPlataform can work in Windows,Linux,Mac or another OS

Another think i see exists programs who can use with kinect for example Brekel,iClone. And Breke is free and basic but is very good, But i want to understand and create my own system or application to work with kinect

Thx for the Help.

Advertisement

If crossplatform is not an issue, I am highly suggest you to use the official Kinect for Windows SDK.

The documentation is excellent, great samples, drivers are stable and the API is in the same familier look&feel like most of Microsoft's user-mode technologies.

Also, the SDK exposes the Avatar Kinect API which allows you to track faces as well !

Personally, I tried OpenNI & NITE months before msr released their first beta and really disliked their API & set-up interfaces.

I haven't worked with OpenKinect, but our engine has both OpenNI and MS Kinect support. The NI APIs are a bit awkward but it's not a big deal to get them set up. However, we felt that the MS SDK's skeletal tracking was more stable, enough that we use it as our default. Obviously you have to use OpenNI for other platforms.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

ok thx for the answers Promid and Eliad Mosche for the help.

So is better to use the MS Kinect SDK for programming with Kinect and OpenNI is for other Platforms and Cameras.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement