Starting my company

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years ago

Hey my name is Michael Murphy and I am starting a gaming studio named Still Blazin'. The games I want to make are games that are insaine and definently captures the imagination we want. If anyone could give me some advice any is helpful. Thank you for your time reading this and wish me luck.

Advertisement
Forming a game studio is no different from forming any other company.

Make sure you have a solid business plan and be prepared to work very hard for the first few years to get things up and running.
Make sure you manage your paperwork properly, governments tend to give you trouble if you fail to pay all your taxes.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Second what Simon said.

Michael, think to yourself "I'm starting a business. What do I need to learn? What do I know, what do I know that I don't know, and what do I not know that I don't know -- and where can I learn about running a business?"

A business degree would be great, but you can also start doing research and networking. Subscribe to GamesIndustry.biz and Gamasutra and GDmag. Read voraciously about your intended marketplace (mobile, online, console, whichever). Start going to business networking mixers in your local area, and start planning to attend game events like GDC and local IGDA events.

Another great way to learn about the game industry is to get a job in the game industry.

P.S. "Starting a company" is a Business topic, not a Breaking In topic (getting jobs in the game industry), so I moved your post to the proper forum for this question.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thank you so much for the information and just as a question is it smart or stupid to try to create the buisness and still pursue game design?

Thank you so much for the information and just as a question is it smart or stupid to try to create the buisness and still pursue game design?

It depends. Who is going to run the business that you create, if after you create it you're going to be the designer? If you, then it's stupid. That doesn't mean there are no people who did it and succeeded.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement