I have followed the advice given by Alpha_ProgDes and made a pong game, followed by a breakout game. I made the game in Java with Slick as my game library. It's pretty basic and has a few errors, but I'm fairly happy with the overall result. There is still work to be done, the errors I need to fix right now are:
1) When ball collides with the paddle on the side it still changes the balls dy, not the dx. I feel like it would be easy enough to make another shape and add it onto the ends of the paddle for the ball to collide with.
2) Sometimes when the ball collides with the bricks, instead of bouncing off and destroying the brick, it continues through that brick and destroys another. I'm not sure what causes this but I feel like it has something to do with the order I've set up the collision in.
Possibly features to add:
1) Music and sound - This should be easy enough, it's just a matter of finding some sounds to use
2) A menu
3) Actual game levels - Read from a text file, instead of 5 solid lines of brick
4) A level editor - Probably something I'd come back to after gaining more experience
5) Player lives - After #3
6) A score - After #3
What do you guys think? Any suggestions of things I can do differently?
After typing this all out, I got an error with the uploader, it reads "Upload Skipped(Error503)". Any idea what this means? I'd like to get some input on this project.