My Trailer: How Bad Is It?

Started by
33 comments, last by blueshogun96 11 years ago

One thing I have been considering for my upcoming games is creating trailers. Tbh, I don't believe I've ever created a very effective trailer (one that I'd show to the public on a massive scale), but I'd like to ensure that I do not make common n00b or indie mistakes. There are some rules I've already read up on, and other (at least to me) are just downright common sense.

What I did:

1. Made 3 video captures between 12 and 14 seconds.

2. Made some basic logos (to fit the style of the game).

3. Added some brief descriptions between footage.

4. Added a screen talking about what platforms the game will support as well as a copyright string at the bottom.

5. Used some basic and soothing music that would suit the game's genre and style (at least I tried to).

What I didn't/refused to do:

1. Make the trailer longer then 90 seconds.

2. Waste time with flashy logos or put much emphasis on them.

3. Add some random heavy metal or techno song (really, anyone who uses "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" as their trailer music is just asking for failure since people are notoriously tired of hearing it and will likely click the back button).

4. Do some lame commentary in the background.

5. Make an entire video with me just playing the game.

What I believe I did wrong:

1. The screen at 0:24 saying "Simple but challenging gameplay ... and with progressive difficulty" probably wasn't a good idea since it looks obvious enough.

2. I didn't include a release date at the end.

3. I didn't include a link, or mention my website.

4. The X:Y coordinate debug output isn't very professional to have on a trailer.

5. Probably should fade out the music as it finishes.

I'm sure there's more but that's what I've come up with at the moment. This isn't a trailer that I've made public because I already know it's not ready. And without further adieu, here it is.

[media]

[/media]

Feel free to do your absolute worst. I like putting everything to the ultimate test before falling in love with it only to have my digital heart broken into a million and one pixels later. To be on the safe side, I assume that my game or my trailer is complete crap and let the masses decide. You guys have always been realistic and brutally honest (and sometimes downright douchey), but that's the type of critique I need right now.

Thanks for watching. smile.png

Shogun.

Advertisement

This game looks a lot like golf. What I mean is that it's probably a lot more fun playing it than it is watching trailers of it.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This game looks a lot like golf. What I mean is that it's probably a lot more fun playing it than it is watching trailers of it.

I can agree with this.

So, are you also saying that creating a trailer for this game is not necessary or worth it?

Shogun.

I can agree with this.

So, are you also saying that creating a trailer for this game is not necessary or worth it?

Shogun.

I wouldn't say that. It's nice to see what the game is like. Also, you couldn't do a better job with showing your games with screenshots. I just don't know what to add or change in your trailer to better convey "fun".

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The trailer gets the point across, but you could make it nicer by having better designed font slides, right now it's clear you just typed something out in a couple seconds. . Also the logo looks really choppy.

Nicer font slides? How so? Actually, I intentionally used that font for this trailer with an all white background and was planning on keeping it that way. My reason for that is because I wanted the game to have a "Windows Metro" feel to it for all platforms. If that's not the best of ideas, then I may change that.

I know the logo doesn't look too good. Changing it will happen sooner or later.

Shogun.

My reason for that is because I wanted the game to have a "Windows Metro" feel to it for all platforms. If that's not the best of ideas, then I may change that.

This game looks like it was tailor made for showing off some cool particle effects. Your game looks like it could be fun, but it's not very pretty. The Windows metro feel isn't really coming across all that well.

Some might say particle effects are overdone, and that flying squares are innovative and new. Which may be true, but I still think that pretty explodey lights will look much cooler - and will be a lot easier to sell - than small flying squares any day.

Your text bits aren't very meaningful, and the language is a bit odd. "Every action affects your gameplay session's outcome". Who says "gameplay session"? Technical game developery people might, but to a Joe Gamer it sounds a bit wordy and weird.

I like the game and the looks, effects etc...

However, I don't like that debugging-like coordinates print on the bottom left.

The rules are quite simple, maybe I'd add them to the trailer.

My reason for that is because I wanted the game to have a "Windows Metro" feel to it for all platforms. If that's not the best of ideas, then I may change that.

This game looks like it was tailor made for showing off some cool particle effects. Your game looks like it could be fun, but it's not very pretty. The Windows metro feel isn't really coming across all that well.

Some might say particle effects are overdone, and that flying squares are innovative and new. Which may be true, but I still think that pretty explodey lights will look much cooler - and will be a lot easier to sell - than small flying squares any day.

Your text bits aren't very meaningful, and the language is a bit odd. "Every action affects your gameplay session's outcome". Who says "gameplay session"? Technical game developery people might, but to a Joe Gamer it sounds a bit wordy and weird.

Not very pretty? Before I answer that, let me ask you this. Have you ever played the game sinuous? If so, are you aware of what made it successful, in spite of it's visual simplicity?

Honestly, the flashy lights thingy is something I've seen so many times that it really doesn't appeal to me. I wanted to do/try something different, like what Kenta Cho does does with his games.

I can understand the text bits being too wordy or technical, but I thought "gameplay session" would be self explanatory Is there a different term you'd prefer? At that moment, I couldn't think of anything else.

I like the game and the looks, effects etc...

However, I don't like that debugging-like coordinates print on the bottom left.

The rules are quite simple, maybe I'd add them to the trailer.

Yeah, I'm not going to include that in my actual trailer. I forgot to disable that before making the recordings.

And instead of the first screen of obvious text, I'll find an interesting way of explaining the rules of the game.

Thanks for the replies so far. I really appreciate it.

Shogun.

This reminds me of Boogaloopers :)

boogaloopers.jpg

It was a fun game. One of the only shareware games I ever registered.

"You can't say no to waffles" - Toxic Hippo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement