I want to make Flash games, where should I start?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tchom 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello! :)

I want to make a Flash game and get a nice sponsorship deal with it. But I have a few problems:

• I don't have enough money to buy Adobe Flash.
  • I can use Stencyl, which is a free game creation tool ...
  • ... but its not suited if I want to get a nice sponsorship deal.
  • I know nothing about ActionScript

So, I was hoping, that you guys could help me. Please recommend some ebooks/tutorials that teaches the very basics of making a Flash game (without having to use Adobe Flash).

One more thing, when I say I know nothing about ActionScript ... I really mean NOTHING! xD

I'm a clueless newbie :D

~ Icarius :)

Zeta Games <-- visit my blog

Super Smiley Adventure <-- my first game (download)

Blu <-- my upcoming platform game (download WIP)

Advertisement

FlashDevelop is a free alternative to the Flash development environment.

What makes you think Stencyl isn't suitable for your purposes? You'd probably want the pro version so you didn't need a watermark or splash-screen included, but at only $79/year it's very affordable, and you could develop your game using the free version before upgrading.

- Jason Astle-Adams

As for learning Actionscript 3, I recommend Lee Brimelow's site http://www.gotoandlearn.com/. You might have to go back a fair way to get to his basics of Actionscript tutorials. After that, you want to find a copy of Keith Peters' books "Actionscript 3.0 Animation" and "AdvancED Actionscript 3.0:. Don't be put of by the names: they are not about frame-by-frame timeline animation - they are about programmatic graphics simulations and cover a very diverse range of topics such as basic physics, kinematics, pathfinding, isometric projection and heaps more. These books are gems and I can't recommend them enough.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement