Which MMO Library?

Started by
2 comments, last by SimonForsman 10 years, 10 months ago
Hi,
I need a mmo-oriented network library for c++ with which is able to support atleast 5000 clients per server without any problems/bugs/crashes and has been tested/used already for a popular mmo game.
i need it only for the server because i have java&flash clients and i doubt there will be anything usefull done for them.
Sarcasm is a form of art.
Advertisement

Pretty much any network library can handle that(RakNet is nice but you could just use raw sockets as well), its not the low level networking itself that tends to be the bottleneck, its the game specific protocol and server architecture. also, running a simulation for 5000 players(+ npcs, monsters, etc, etc, etc) can be fairly demanding, you might (depending on the gameplay mechanics) have to distribute the simulation over multiple physical servers (a fairly difficult problem to solve, if you don't have a solid grasp on distributed simulation i'd recommend designing around that problem instead)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Anything that can run under linux will be a good thing

actually i need something simpler than racknet, something more native which can work on linux a simple client-server engine/lib would do

Sarcasm is a form of art.

Anything that can run under linux will be a good thing

actually i need something simpler than racknet, something more native which can work on linux a simple client-server engine/lib would do

BSD/POSIX sockets work under linux and is as simple and native as it can get(as it is the native socket library for *nix).

Allthough RakNet is pretty much the best reasonably priced(its free for games retailing for less than $30 and grossing less than $100k) networking library out there, and it does work great on Linux, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and WP8 (if you pay for it you can also get it for Xbox360, PS3 and Vita) so i'd still recommend using it. (You will most likely want things like reliable UDP anyway)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement