XNA game dev not supported anymore?

Started by
2 comments, last by CockRoach 10 years, 10 months ago

Just finished my first year at uni (computer science degree(game development))

I was coding a simple tank game in XNA game studion 4.0, got as far as it levels up, start- finnish screen several differnt types of enemies, just the

basic elements.Then took nine months of to concentrate on uni, come back to it as i can try and complete it before september when uni starts again then to my horror i find out microsoft have pulled the plug on XNA game studio.

Whats the best thing i should do as im comfortable coding in c# with XNA and my game is only half finished, any suggestions would be appreciated.

kind regards

carl reeves.

Advertisement

Depends on your definition of support.

XNA is based on DirectX 9 and that era of SDKs. Those technologies are not changing, consequently there is little need for XNA updates. In that regard XNA is a fixed target.

Microsoft has said it has no plans to update the SDK. This makes sense because it is used primarily for Xbox 360 and that hardware is not changing. Perhaps in nine months or a year they will announce a successor or update to handle XBox One, but that is just wild speculation and rumor.

Many people still actively use XNA because they want to publish their games on the Xbox 360's XBLIG service, or because they want to use the features XNA offers.

There are many active communities of XNA developers.

Right, everything Frob said is correct -- What unsupported means is essentially that the platform as it is will not continue to evolve or be updated, even bugfixes will be either non-existant or have a very high bar (usually, something that might impact the security of the underlying platform, or cause a user to lose data).

But, you can still download and install XNA game studio, users can still get and install the runtime components, basically everything will continue to work as well as it did, and it will continue to do so indefinitely. The only shortcoming will be that new platforms won't necessarily be capable of running XNA software -- for example, Windows RT tablets won't run XNA software, and so far we have no reason to believe the new Xbox One will either. But Windows itself will continue to run XNA software well into the future, and on the Xbox 360 probably at least until its end-of-life'd.

If you're happy with XNA keep using it, and its still the only way to get software onto the 360. If you aren't happy with it and you can live without 360 support, then consider porting to SharpDX or SlimDX. There's also MonoGame, an implementation of the XNA framework for Windows and non-Windows operating systems.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Ok cheers guys thanks for the feedback.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement