Visual Studio 2012 versions

Started by
3 comments, last by Ravyne 10 years, 10 months ago

I was previously using visual studio 2010 ultimate for C++ but after a disk crash, (since I am re-installing everything anyways) I am thinking about moving to VS 2012. I'm not sure how good the new express versions are but I have heard good things and may skip buying VS altogether. I'm wondering if the Directx libraries are running okay in 2012?

If you are working with Visual Studio 2012 and DirectX please post your experience and opinion. Everything is going so fast it is hard to keep up and although I found some opinions on stack overflow, I haven't really heard from people using the new Windows SDK with Directx libraries included. Is everything running smooth? Are you using express, pro, or ultimate? What are the pros and cons of VS 2012 versus 2010 in your opinion?

Advertisement

I haven't had any issues at work with DirectX and VS2012 - everything seems to work well.

For me the biggest day-to-day difference between 2010 and 2012 is the speed at which intellisense works; VS2012 is so much faster when working with large projects.

VS2012 also has better support for C++11 (as far as I'm aware).

Or, install both! They run just fine side-by-side.

The biggest change that you need to know going in about the express versions, is that 2012 is the first time that they are organized around particular plattorms, rather than particular languages -- you used to get Visual C++ Express, Visual C# Express, etc. -- now, you get Visual Studio Express for Windows Desktop, Visual Studio Express for Windows 8 (store apps), Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone, etc. You get all the languages you could want for each platform, and you can install multiple platform-specific SKUs side-by-side just fine (they'll even share common components, so you aren't wasting disk space).

VS2012 has a lot to offer over VS2010, even in its Express forms.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I may be misremembering, but I think the graphics debugger (PIX replacement) is missing from the Express edition.

That's right Dave. The VS2012 express SKUs don't include the graphics diagnostics tools, but then again VS2010 didn't have them at all. If someone really wants them today, they have to buy a non-Express version of VS2012.

Express does give up some features -- mostly ones which are only of regular use to enterprise developers or large teams of commercial developers.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement