Does Leap Motion add to the gaming experience?

Started by
4 comments, last by Alpha_ProgDes 10 years, 10 months ago

The five of us are part-time indie-game developers and have been working on our first game Caromble! for the last couple of years on each Friday.

We have now also implemented the Leap Motion as a possible interface, here you can see it in action. Do you think the Leap Motion makes the game more interesting?

Would you prefer playing it with keyboard, mouse or leap? I myself found it more fun using the leap, but I wonder whether that is just caused by the newness of the device.

We are on Steam Greenlight and hope that it will work out. Another option is to distribute it through the Leap store: Airspace. However, we don't want Caromble! to solely been seen as a Leap Motion game, so would it be smart? Questions, so many questions.

What do you think?

Advertisement

Mouse > Keyboard > Leap

It might be fun but, if you need to keep your hand in the air as shown in the video, you'll be supporting your wrist with the other hand after two minutes and you'll be intolerably uncomfortable after ten minutes. Holding your hand in the air is an example of what is called "static work" in ergonomics, and it's the kind of thing that should be avoided.

I think it would be tricky to get this game to be fun using on/off controls like keys: Gradual movement seems like a very good thing here. So the mouse is my top choice.

It might be fun but, if you need to keep your hand in the air as shown in the video, you'll be supporting your wrist with the other hand after two minutes and you'll be intolerably uncomfortable after ten minutes. Holding your hand in the air is an example of what is called "static work" in ergonomics, and it's the kind of thing that should be avoided.

I've used the leap for upwards of 20 minutes at one time, with no ill effects.

The key in my mind is to ensure you have correct ergonomics. Placing it on your desk will work very badly, because you have to raise your hands to interact with it. Place it considerably lower (as happens with a standing desk), and it works just fine, because your arms can be in a more natural resting pose.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

In my opinion any non-discrete control > Keyboard. It is just doesn't give the amount of control you would want for a game like Caromble!

I think that using the leap can indeed be ergonomically ok, providing you have found a correct way to position your arm. Because in this case you only need one finger, you don't even have to raise your arm or wrist.

23834585.jpg

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I think it can definitely work if your arms are positioned right. Congratulations on the game!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement