Confused and lost

Started by
14 comments, last by Rezkon 10 years, 10 months ago

Ok so ive been playing around with Unity3D And UDK, now there great but i dont think they could help with the idea i have in mind and im not really sure where to get started with.. So ill just try to list off my ideas

Its very similair to LIMBO, but on the android theres other ideas but i dont even know what programming lagunage i should learn, what i should be using to make somehing like it.. so if anyone is able to shead some light..

Advertisement

When you say LIMBO, do you mean the x86 PC emulator for Android? You want to learn computer programming to write an x86 emulator for Android?

I think he's talking about this LIMBO: http://limbogame.org/

Ah OK, that's a stylized grey scale 2-d platformer.

Some areas to learn are sprite programming, 2-d programming, text drawing, platformer physics, tonemapping and greyscale, and pixel shaders for blur and fog. I have no idea what language you should use, but I would suggest C++ just so you can keep the application native and (relatively) portable.

I think he's talking about this LIMBO: http://limbogame.org/

Yup thats the one

Ah OK, that's a stylized grey scale 2-d platformer.

Some areas to learn are sprite programming, 2-d programming, text drawing, platformer physics, tonemapping and greyscale, and pixel shaders for blur and fog. I have no idea what language you should use, but I would suggest C++ just so you can keep the application native and (relatively) portable.

Oh ok, and what would you say i should start trying to learn as soon as possible, i know a bit of java and python and C++ But Very basic stuff,

I bet you can make something like this with Java. Still recommend you learn how to do sprite-based animation, 2-d concepts, text drawing, platform physics and so no.

I bet you can make something like this with Java. Still recommend you learn how to do sprite-based animation, 2-d concepts, text drawing, platform physics and so no.

So i should learn all this stuff, worry about the programming aspect later :)?
Which would be great considering im doing a programming course in a couple of weeks so id have a better idea

Is there any engines, software you would advise i should try?

If you want to program a game you might want to concentrate on learning how to program first. Knowing "a bit of java and python and C++" wont do. Programming an entire game (even a simple 2D scroller) is very complex and requires a lot of knowledge of programming, math, graphics, not to mention all those little things like UIs, scripting, AI, managing assets, debugging, optimizing, etc, etc. Using an engine like Unity will help and reduces the entry requirements, but you still need to have a solid knowledge of programming.

If you want to program a game you might want to concentrate on learning how to program first. Knowing "a bit of java and python and C++" wont do. Programming an entire game (even a simple 2D scroller) is very complex and requires a lot of knowledge of programming, math, graphics, not to mention all those little things like UIs, scripting, AI, managing assets, debugging, optimizing, etc, etc. Using an engine like Unity will help and reduces the entry requirements, but you still need to have a solid knowledge of programming.

Fair enough, what would you say is the best laguage to start with for the type of game i want to achive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement