Entry-level Jobs

Started by
5 comments, last by Colton Ramos 10 years, 9 months ago

Hello!

I'm currently pursuing a degree in Computer Science at a state university. I enjoy working on demo projects in my spare time. I want to become a video game programmer, likely specializing in gameplay. After graduation, I plan to move to a location with many studios, such as Austin, Seattle, Los Angeles or San Francisco and apply until I get the job.

However, whenever I look at job openings online I'm met with requirements such as:

- X number of years as a developer

- Y number of shipped titles

It seems every job opening I find has these requirements! How am I supposed to break into the industry if doing so requires industry experience?

Advertisement

I'm moving you to the "Game Industry Job Advice" forum, which should be a better fit for your question.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

These are usually particular jobs that the company is actively recruiting for. Games companies rarely need to advertise entry level positions because they get applications every day. Don't worry just send speculative applications with your demo and CV and you will get invited to interview from some companies.

It seems every job opening I find has these requirements! How am I supposed to break into the industry if doing so requires industry experience?

This is true for all industries, not just games.

Since you are still in college, I suggest you read the book "What color is your parachute?" It has also been called names like the job hunter's bible, and it discusses many techniques to overcome that problem generally for any field.

Entry level jobs are usually advertised differently than mid-level and senior-level jobs. Consider in fast food they often don't advertise for most jobs, they just put a pile of job applications on the counter. The same is mostly true of games. Simple word-of-mouth advertising and direct recommendations can easily fill up the few rare entry level needs.

When you see game jobs advertised it is usually for mid-level and senior-level jobs. Often it is due to turnover in an existing job and they want someone who can walk in, sit down, and immediately fill the vacancy.

In addition to the "What Color is your Parachute?" book, read this forum's FAQs for several game-specific ways to help overcome the experience problem.

Simple word-of-mouth advertising and direct recommendations can easily fill up the few rare entry level needs.

Indeed, networking goes a long way to get your first "in". Know a few people inside, and they might think of you and recommend you for your attitude or portfolio when the company suddenly needs someone new.

Also, if there's any igda gathering in your area where people will look up at portfolios and discuss with you, be sure not to miss that kind of chance. We've had great people we've hired solely based on this type of encounter.

This is particularly helpful in an area where there are many studios, and very little experienced people left to draft from. In my area, there are two cities that fit this criteria (and one is Montreal).

Volunteering at a game industry event, with GDC being the most obvious choice, can go a long way.

Even if you aren't selected as a volunteer at these events (I have volunteered at GDC Online and GDC Europe, and there are a lot of people applying) you should still go.

You don't need an all-access pass: student sessions are open to all attendees, the expo will have studios looking to hire, and most importantly - you will be able to go to the parties, where are the real networking happens.

Thank you guys very much! I'm relieved to know that entry-level jobs do exist. I'll continue to research and work hard on my portfolio and at school. =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement