What Engine to start with?

Started by
0 comments, last by Serapth 10 years, 9 months ago

Hello,

I suppose this is a frequently asked question, but I didn't yet find an answer to it.

So, I want to get started with game development and the question is: What Engine should I start with? I have knowledge in C++, C# and Java and I've already tried out Cryengine 3, Unity and bought a book on DirectX 11 with C++, which seems too complicated and I guess programming your own Engine won't get you really far unless you're an experienced game programmer, but I may be wrong.

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly, but the problem is that you have to log in to play the game after you release it. Unity is beginner-friendly too, but in my opinion I can't get as much out of it as I can with Cryengine.

What Engines do you guys use, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Advertisement

Hello,

I suppose this is a frequently asked question, but I didn't yet find an answer to it.

So, I want to get started with game development and the question is: What Engine should I start with? I have knowledge in C++, C# and Java and I've already tried out Cryengine 3, Unity and bought a book on DirectX 11 with C++, which seems too complicated and I guess programming your own Engine won't get you really far unless you're an experienced game programmer, but I may be wrong.

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly, but the problem is that you have to log in to play the game after you release it. Unity is beginner-friendly too, but in my opinion I can't get as much out of it as I can with Cryengine.

What Engines do you guys use, and what are the advantages/disadvantages?

Cryengine 3 looks really good and seems beginner-friendly

Yeah... no, CryEngine is certainly not beginner friendly. Do a search on developers using CryEngine, you wont hear too many good things, especially from indies. I maintain a list of modern indie friendly engines, that's a place to start. If it were me, depending on language I would go with C++:GamePlay3D or Ogre3D, Java:jMonkeyEngine, C#:Unity. Those are simply opinion though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement