Why XML is all the rage now?

Started by
61 comments, last by TechnoGoth 10 years, 1 month ago

Well, that's the question.

It seems like every tool promotes its support of some XML based format and everyone is supposed to go all like "omg xml! yay!" yet I can't quite fanthom why is such a big deal.

I don't particulary consider XML a "pretty" schema to write your configuration files. It uses so many symbols, and not in a particularly "easy to look at" way.

What do you think?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement

I think we're actually past the point where XML is all the rage. Right now I see other text formats like JSON and YAML cropping up in places that XML used to be used in.

There are so many existing tools and libraries for working with XML that you don't have to do much of your own implementation -- for most languages you can be writing or parsing XML files within a few minutes and only a few lines of code.

JSON or YAML are both becoming popular alternatives.

//EDIT: What SiCrane said -- XML was all the rage a couple of years back, and because of that there are loads of tools and libraries supporting it, but I'd agree with the feeling that JSON and YAML are now being preferred by most people.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I agree. The "XML rage" ended years ago. And that's a good thing. XML looks good on paper but it just doesn't work out well. The specification is ridiculously over-engineered and the signal/noise ratio is just stupidly low. But I think it is kind of ironic, that XML was supposed to be a back-end communication format that was never meant to be edited by humans, yet for some reason it became a general-purpose configuration file format. I guess one was needed more than the other wink.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

The year 2000 called, and they want their markup back laugh.png tongue.png

As above, I would've said that it's hype levels have died down a lot recently, with many people moving on to more sane options.

[edit]

To answer the question somewhat:

XML is a "mature technology" - it's standardized and flexible and there's a lot of tools support, and supporting tech like XSLT... which makes it an easy option to default to.

To get out my nasty feelings:

It is just plain bad though. I feel wrong when I touch it.

When using all of it's features, it completely fails as a human readable format... and if it's not going to be human readable, then using UTF8/etc to store arbitrary data is just horribly inefficient.

I had to check the date of this post biggrin.png , thought it was necroed.

I'm sure the tools support XML mostly for legacy reasons. Some people refuse to change, and there are people who still think XML is the best thing ever.

Aww man. Well, in my defense, 2/3 of the tools you find have some sort of XML file for configurations/formats/serialization/etc (say, build tools, or formats like collada).

Its just that it looked so ugly to think "Oh, I see what problem this is solving!"

I'm glad its been phased out. I knew a bit about JSON but YAML looks much, much better.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

From a professional standpoint, a lot of businesses still use xml as their data markup language. I think that carries over into the gaming industry as well simply because of the sheer number of objects that support it.

For more on my wargaming title check out my dev blog at http://baelsoubliette.wordpress.com/

YAML is taking off? I have yet to see anything use it. JSON though, yes, it seems that lately everybody and their dogs are using JSON now. Probably because we're in full HTML5 mode, and JSON data is valid javascript, so using it is a non-brainer as you don't even need a parser (I wonder if anybody understands the implications of loading data as code though).

Personally, I prefer INI files anyway (well, INI-like at least). Yeah, call me old-fashioned, but they're a lot easier to deal with. XML is good when you need tree-style nesting, but most of the time you don't, really (and even then, those using XML more often than not abuse it resulting in ridiculously complex formats for no real reason).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

XML gets super retarded super fast. But if you ever have to edit that by hand then the tree structure of XML is heaps better to find what you are doing then wadding through a bunch of square brackets and curly braces.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement