Animated GIF on front page

Started by
24 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 8 months ago

There is a really awesome animated IOTD on the front page today, which I'm all for, except that the animated gif brings my browser (Safari 6.0.5) to a crawl every time I load the front page...

I've worked around this by adding the image to my adblock filters, but I wonder if we should avoid placing animated gifs on the front page in future?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

It is major slowdown for me too. It should be static screenshots only! I know that people would like their work to be seen but this is bad way to do it.

I hear that the GIF format has regained popularity for short movies (as a - abusive ? - replacement for flash/youtube I guess). I have no problem with the load and display, but not everybody has a high end connection and machine.

IOTD is now screenshot saturday, so I wonder if the gamedev staff can actually dictate any format restrictions. Still, it's supposed to be screenshots, no ?

I wouldn't mind either, since I usually surf with plugins disabled (or opt-in). It's too distracting.

PS: It's a nice movie, though.

It made my browser lag a slight bit (i.e. loading the front-page articles was slower with the gif going), but if it weren't for that, I'd think it a pretty awesome little feature. I think it piqued my interested in the game more than a screenshot would have.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

but if it weren't for that, I'd think it a pretty awesome little feature.

Yeah. I've been admiring the same GIF on the main IOTD page for several days now, so no problem with the format.

But I do thing we should freeze-frame the GIF for the front page, to avoid page load slowdowns. Poor customer experience and all that...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Could make it an option per-user.

It doesn't slow me down at all, but I've got lots of bandwidth and a powerful computer.

Alternatively, avoid animated gifs but ensure that YouTube videos can be embedded there.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

50mb gif seriously!!! And its loading every time i enter some subforum?

youtube-mozilla-firefox2.jpg

Yeah, there should be a limit on image sizes. There is no good reason to allow that. I have a broadband connection and it slows me down. It doesn't get cached or doesn't stay cached for some reason.

It shows up on every forum page, not just the home page. See pic...

On top of this, some of the PageSpeed tips might be a good idea.

It's weird other people's browsers aren't loading this from cache. My Chrome browser is loading from cache just fine:

(get request)

GET /uploads/showdown/2013_08/thumb-sss_96849afd5ab376ff7e5d536eeb844fbf.gif HTTP/1.1
Host: www.gamedev.net
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Pragma: no-cache
If-None-Match: "2b8bc3-3067776-4e308fd043ec0"
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:00:51 GMT
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.95 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
Cookie: [...]
(response)
HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified
Last-Modified: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:00:51 GMT
ETag: "2b8bc3-3067776-4e308fd043ec0"
Cache-Control: max-age=604800
Expires: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:59:42 GMT
Content-Type: image/gif
Server: GDNET
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 22:27:53 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
X-Cache: HIT
X-Cache-Hits: 7894
X-Success-Kid: Linked from Reddit.. Didnt Crash

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

It's weird other people's browsers aren't loading this from cache. My Chrome browser is loading from cache just fine:
(get request)
...snip...

I'm using Chrome as well and the GIF loads every time I change pages. I can tell because it jumps frames while playing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement