Resources about real-time game network programming

Started by
1 comment, last by snacktime 10 years, 7 months ago

Hey, I have decent knowlegde in prograaming in Java, PHP and Python and I am looking to create a multiplayer, real-time game in Java. The part that I'm not very experienced at is networking. Are there any resources (preferably e-books), that you would recommend to someone like me?

Advertisement

The FAQ has a bunch of links. Recommended books include "TCP/IP Illustrated" by Stevens, and perhaps "Networked Virtual Environments" by Singhal.

Sadly for you, most references are C-based, not Java-based, because this is a systems programming area where Java really isn't that strong.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I'm going to mostly ignore the dig on java, to say that java is usually a better platform for networked servers. This is mainly due to it's good concurrency libraries and frameworks, which C/C++ for the most part lacks. (Boost really needs to die in a fire). I say that having worked on games and non game applications at the scale of billions of requests per day for several years.

Take a look at Netty. I also like using protocol buffers for messaging because it's already bit packed. UDT is something to look at also.

Akka is also a great platform for games. I've used Akka and Netty together to build large scale network servers that scale to tens of thousands of concurrent users.

Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement