Where would you guys go to find a composer to write music for your game? :)

Started by
5 comments, last by flec 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey,

I write music for games myself, and I'm just interested where you guys go to find someone to write music for you? Or if you would just use pre-existing tracks? smile.png

Alex

Advertisement

Well, I can't speak from experience but my guess is that most people in this part of the forum create the music themselves. Regarding your question, I guess that it differs quite a lot but a large part is contacts. Have a friend who knows somebody that needs audio? that works. Or being active on a forum like this or any other game development forum or advertising yourself there. Perhaps being active on soundcloud helps and just posting your stuff on facebook every now and then, just so people at least know that you're doing stuff with audio. A great thing would be to work on gamejams with people in order to showcase your ability to write music and fill up your portfolio.

And still then you might be finding your job by having a conversation with someone at a bus stop. You never know.

I unfortunately don't have the link to provide you, but I know a developer who hired a composer from a private forum (of the kind you need an invite to be a member or see the threads).

This forum was a "composer's relations" forum, where a potential client would post a description of the project he needed original music to and the briefing of the first track he needed. Then a few composers would post a short sample of their take on this example track and the client would hire the composer that had most satisfied his expectations to compose for the entire soundtrack.

You can find several other composers posting portfolios or recent work in these artistic "Music & Sound" forum areas or the "Offer Work" areas, not only here in GameDev but other forums as well, such as TIGSource.

But I would at least like know what that composer's forum is named.

I think you'll get better info if you ask this question in the lounge or another part where more programmers/artists/other type of devs will see this question. Most folks active here are composers/sound designers/audio folks themselves and make our own audio. :)

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

And still then you might be finding your job by having a conversation with someone at a bus stop. You never know.

Bingo. Networking is so much more than just cold emailing or sterile ads. In fact, I've gotten more work from folks I created a geniune relationship with instead of just the "HIRE ME!!!" approach! :) Then as you get more and more jobs, your work and your reputation start to speak (and work) for you. It just takes a lot of time, effort and focus. You can do it.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I'm fairly new to buzzing around on forums! I do network of course, most recently "Game Music Connect" in London. I kind of feel like so much is done over the internet it's WAY easier to find projects on sites like this compared to from chatting to people...At the end of the day all the big game developers already have all their tried and tested composers on speed dial why would they be looking for any more? ;)

The private forum sounds interesting...wonder how exclusive it is!!

I shall try reposting this in a different part, I guess it is useful to hear from both sides :)

Hi!

The "hire me" approach is also a bit difficult for a music creator, due to the fact that the developers usually have no idea about the quality of the potential music before the composer's job. I started to use my audiojungle portfolio [http://audiojungle.net/user/flec/portfolio] not as a trading machine, but more like "take a look what I can" approach.

As a composer I can tell that it's better to know each other before job, but sometimes it's just not possible. Personally I think that it is a waay better to composer original music for a game. It provides individuality to every project; but when budget is small there are compromises...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement