Networking and Collaborating

Started by
2 comments, last by bschmidt1962 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm looking to do some networking with high quality studios, especially in Maryland and other east coast states in the US. I'm new to sales in this industry so I'm trying to get a little jump start. I have a solid understanding of communication and business development, but the gaming industry is a new beast for me (in terms of B2B relationships). So where do I start?

My goals are to:

- find businesses interested in outsourcing their art and/or their mobile app/game development, or all of the above.

- develop solid, lasting relationships with people working in the industry. (Networking)

- pitch my company's services to industry leaders, producers, publishers, and developers.

- settle deals and help my company get the development process kickstarted with our clients.

If you have experience please enlighten me. I will pick up on things as I go, but I was hoping to get some legitimate advice to get the ball rolling. Thanks.

Advertisement

Join the local IGDA chapter.

Subscribe to Gamasutra and GamesIndustry.biz

Go to GDC Next (in about 3 weeks) and find out about other events and go to those too.

Don't be just a talker -- be a listener.

http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

so you are just in the "finding" stage? Definitely what Tom said.
As far as closing deals is concerned, the video game industry can try your patience: big partners will take their time.
Big relationship X took us 3 Dice to close a deal with. They are picky about who they deal with but these guys pick one developer per platform 'forever' so its well worth ir.
Otherwise keep on the lookout for Rfps with mysterious middlemen. Its a good way to start something with important businesses.
Finally, cold calling :)

- develop solid, lasting relationships with people working in the industry. (Networking)

- pitch my company's services to industry leaders, producers, publishers, and developers.

- settle deals and help my company get the development process kickstarted with our clients.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these are mutually incompatible goals.

You may find it difficult to begin the process of developing "solid, lasting relationships with people working in the industry" if your actual motivation is to sell them services.

Not to say that trying to settle deals isn't a good thing, but it isn't the best way to start long relationships with people in the industry.

I would take tom's suggestion "Join the local IGDA chapter" one further-- Join and become active. And not just to make sales, but to genuinely try to help others out. "Help" doesn't mean "look how my software/services can "help" make your product better." Help means doing something for someone else with no expectation of something in return-- connect two people you've met who might be able to work together. Volunteer to take minutes at the IGDA meeting, stay and clean up after the "mixer" event, etc.

I'd also suggest networking with other than "high quality studios"-- games is a small industry and the little guy you blow off (because his studio isn't big enough) may well be the person you're trying to sell at a "high quality studio" next year.

It's a fun industry! Enjoy!

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement