Should my website be dedicated purely to my portfolio, or can I have other content as well and not look unprofessional?

Started by
4 comments, last by Derek William Lawrence 10 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

Right now, I'm working on my portfolio presentation. I plan on buying my own website domain and all that, so I'd like to put unrelated content on the website (for example, I'm a musician, so I want to post sheet music and mp3s) up as well.

My only concern is that may be seem unprofessional; however, I'd much rather have all my content on one website rather than pay for two websites.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Simply make a sub-domain for the unrelated content. You shouldn't have to pay extra for this, and it's easy to figure out.

eg:

namesurname.com: Portfolio page
unrelated.namesurname.com: Unrelated stuff. No one'll even know you have it unless you add the link somewhere, and even then it'll still be neat.

Alright, thanks! I'm not very familiar with websites (obvioiusly), but I'll keep your idea in mind when I'm ready to get a domain name.

If that idea somehow doesn't work, you can probably get away with posting it on the same website so long as what you put up is nothing that portrays you in a negative light.

I like the way Andrew Kim from Minimally Minimal does it. He's got a mixed blog and portfolio. Some things in his blog are clearly unrelated to his portfolio, but his blog posts are still very professional and show more about him as a whole than a straight portfolio would.

Just make sure you keep your portfolio clear and easily accessible in your site. You want to make it clear when you say "this is my portfolio" and "this is my blog". And make sure they are both professional.

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

You can always make an unlinked page as well, essentially the same thing as a subdomain but you are just creating a new html page that is unlinked with the rest of your pages so the only way to get there is to type in the address like

www.mysite.com/myotherstuff.html

If you never point a link to this page then potential employers can get to it unless they know it exists.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement