Bitmap Font Creator issue with multi channel glyphing

Started by
7 comments, last by WitchLord 10 years, 5 months ago

Hello,

I'm getting a bug with 1.3 and 1.4 beta of Bitmap Font Creator:

My font ("Batang") renders nicely with white on black, or with alpha, exports to .png is totally okay.

But when I select the export option [x] "Pack chars in multiple channels", I get a picture with every pixel = (1,1,1,1) or (0,0,0,0).

I've tested many different other options together with it.

What I would expect to see: A very colorful image seemingly consisting of random colors (every of the 4 image channels populated with glyphs).

Advertisement

Hi Ogli,

Your expected result is correct.

Can you post your .bmfc configuration file so I can have a look at the settings you use when getting the unexpected result?

Thanks,

Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Of course,

Here are the latest three test configurations:

http://www.lostplanets.de/files/fonttest_configuration_12a.bmfc

http://www.lostplanets.de/files/fonttest_configuration_12b.bmfc

http://www.lostplanets.de/files/fonttest_configuration_12c.bmfc

I wonder what I did wrong. Noob I am. :)

<Edit>

When I set 2048 x 2048 I get the same. The 4096 x 4096 is of course too large - the first channel (red) would have all glyphs.

There isn't anything wrong. You just don't see the result you expected because your texture size is so large that all glyphs fit into the first channel (alpha), thus the rgb channels were left blank.

Reduce the size of the texture and you'll see the colorful mess you had expected ;)

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Okay, I inspected the color channels in GIMP again, but with a different technique.

R,G,B are indeed populated 100%, 100%, 64%. Only Alpha is not populated (0%).

That's exactly what I expected. GIMP just tricked me, because it worked not like I expected it to work.

2nd (minor issue, but would be nice too)

The option with alpha=one, red=glyph, green=glyph, blue=glyph doesn't work as expected.

I tried this because I wanted to see the result with a simple image viewer.

What did you get with that option? You should see white glyphs on a black background with that option (considering 32bit output and not packed in multiple channels of course)

No, this is all about multi channel glyphing. :-)

I expected 'random' colors and alpha channel = 1. But all the channels seem to have = 1.

Btw, thanks for your swift replies.

When choosing the option "pack characters in multiple channels" only the choice of the alpha channel will affect the output as this choice will be repeated in all channels (that's why the red, green, and blue choice boxes are dimmed out). If you then choose an alpha channel with value one or zero, you'll get an empty texture (either white or black).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement