Fullscreen problem

Started by
2 comments, last by Buckeye 10 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

We have encountered a strange problem with our DirectX 9 application when it's running on Windows 8.1 x64. The application is working correctly in windowed mode, but when we go to fullscreen mode the GPU stops working completely (according to GPU-Z). It only renders the first image and then nothing. The application is still running - you can hear sounds and click on GUI items, but the image on the screen is completely frozen. The only thing that seems to help is to alt-tab out of the application and then back in. After that the GPU seems to wake up to render images again. Going to windowed mode and back to fullscreen mode freezes the image again. Alt-tabbing to the desktop and then back to the application is the only thing that seems to work.

Any ideas what could be causing this kind of thing? We have only encountered this problem on Windows 8.

Advertisement

Without more information, the only suggestion would be to update your graphics drivers. What hardware are you running?

If the driver update doesn't work, try posting some pertinent code - namely fullscreen mode switch & maybe your rendering/message loop.

Are you testing the "cooperative mode" of the device ?

Perhaps something when bad when going to full screen( i don't see how, But i hope it helps ).

Have you also recreated all resources not in the managed pool ?

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

It only renders the first image and then nothing.

Just a guess, maybe a clue: Are you sure the image is rendered when you go to fullscreen? Perhaps what you see is the last (windowed) backbuffer and it's never overwritten. Easy enough to test - draw something in fullscreen only and see if it appears.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement